Colour to paint WW2 artillery, AA, AT and mortar rounds?

Hi,

I’m trying to find the appropriate colour to paint WW2 artillery, AA, AT and mortar rounds. I’m painting model. Can someone point me to a reference on the web?

So far I have only found a reference to some British rounds:

visualcollector.com/VisualCollec … sMines.htm

I’d be very interested to see links to rounds of any nations as these questions come up all the time for me.

Probably a silly questoin - but is the base of artillery rounds generally in brass (uncoloured metal) with only the ‘warhead’ coloured?

Cheers

Neil

Neil

Go to this URL for a great site on information on artillery rounds. Scroll down to near the end for a nice drawing giving all the colors for various projectiles.

navweaps.com/Weapons/Gun_Data_p2.htm

How small of cartridge types do you want the color codes for. 50 BMG and 20mm codes are available if you want them.

[quote=“Ron Merchant”]Neil

navweaps.com/Weapons/Gun_Data_p2.htm

[/quote]

Thanks Ron. That is a great site. I should have said that I was interested in rounds for the US army. I’m interested in mortar rounds and artillery rounds from 75mm and up. When I’m painting models these are typically the items which are big enough to be depicted.

Cheers

Neil

Neil

The information you want is in any of the ammunition TMs (Technical Manual) published by the War Department. TM 9-1900, AMMUNITION, GENERAL, is a good one to start with.

I don’t know where you get such publications. I’ve had mine for years.

Ray

Thanks Ray. Someone pointed me to some US army documents on line which I’m (slowly) downloading them to Bangladesh (where I live).

BTW, the cops and army in Bangladesh recently upgraded their rifles… from 303s to a Chinese copy of the M1.

So I hope I won’t be in trouble for posessing info about rounds which still count as modern technology in Bangladesh!

Neil

If you cannot get the information that you need, let me know which particular ordnance you want to paint and I can probably take a color photo of the appropriate pages of my copy of the TM.

Ron

That particular drawing that you referenced actually shows the color schemes for the period between the 2 World Wars. I think that drawing came from the 1937 Naval Ordnance & Gunnery publication.

When WWII started the Navy was in the process of changing not only the colors but also the MK and MOD designations. That’s why you will find a lot of variations in projectile markings and designations during the early 1940s.

Ray

Ray

[quote=“Ray Meketa”]Neil

When WWII started the Navy was in the process of changing not only the colors but also the MK and MOD designations. That’s why you will find a lot of variations in projectile markings and designations during the early 1940s.

Ray

Ray[/quote]

The colour changes also happened in the UK. In 1965 we fired four different colours of H.E. 4.5 inch during a “tidying up” shoot.

gravelbelly