Commercial Canadian Stedmans .303 British

Just like to share a box of .303 that was made for the Macleod Stedmans stores in Canada.They have no head stamp other then .303 British. very limited info on package.

3 Likes

How old is it?

i am thinking maybe 1980s

1 Like

Could 250481 on the price tag be the date the sticker was applied? I’m unsure if Canada uses the more common dd/mm/yy date format, or the US mm/dd/yy format (or something else).

It would be very nice to see a good photo of the headstamp. It might lead to identifying the maker of the ammunition ? (at least the cases).

Nice box,

oh thanks! yeah i never knew that. thats possible.

here is the head stamps. it would not let me post more then one photo on the main post.

1 Like

2 Likes

3 Likes

This ammunition was supplied by Winchester Canada Limited. They are loaded with Power-Point bullets.

Regards,

Fede

3 Likes

IIRC this ammo was also retailed by Canadian Tire Corp. as ACE brand red box.

1 Like

“Ace” was a brand owned and manufactured by CIL and later by IVI. It was also retailed by other Canadian stores like Army & Navy, Co-Op, Fedco and Woolco. Boxes are blue and cases used a similar headstamp that reads only “303 BRIT.”.

You can see an example of that headstamp here: "303 BRIT." headstamp

Regards,

Fede

2 Likes

My bad, Fede is right.

The Stedman’s shells were made in the late 1960’s and 1970’s, possibly in to the early 1980’s. In 1980 Stedman’s and McLeods hardware (same owners) were purchased and rebranded…many changes of ownership including Ace Hardware but they are now operating as “Peavey Marts” in smaller cities.