"Constructions of cartridges", the new book by Mikhail Grinberg, is available on Amazon

The book “Constructions of cartridges” contains a detailed description of the constructions of the most widely used kinds of military cartridges, civilian cartridges, and cartridges for law enforcement based on the classification of cartridges established by basic international and national standards. The book covers a wide range of modern cartridges intended for firing the breech-loading weapons. The main focus of the book on special purpose cartridges and nontraditional types of cartridges that are of the greatest interest from the point of view of construction features and use of original technical solutions. The book is intended for engineering and managerial staff of manufacturers of cartridge and weapons, proof houses, shooting clubs; teachers, undergraduate and graduate students in higher education; hunters and shooters; owners and fans of weapons.

Mikhail Grinberg

2 Likes

Mikhail, welcome here!

Can you elaborate more on the content of the book maybe?
Like is it treating all known/in reality existing designs or is it more about systems and patented material in general?

Is there maybe some sample pages you can show so people will know what exact kind of book it is.

Thank you for your interest in my book.

The book is significantly different from the main part of the existing books. The main part of existing books should be considered as popular, while my book should be considered as professional.

The book considers the most widely used kinds of cartridges in accordance with the classification of cartridges established in the Documents of the Permanent International Commission for the Proof of Small-arms (C.I.P.):

• Rimless cartridges for long rifled centerfire weapons;
  • Rimmed cartridges for long rifled centerfire weapons;
  • Magnum cartridges for long rifled centerfire weapons;
  • Pistol and revolver cartridges for short rifled centerfire weapons;
  • Rimfire cartridges for long and short rifled weapons;
  • Cartridges for industrial use;
  • Cartridges for smoothbore centerfire weapons;
  • Cartridges for alarm weapons;
  • Dust shot cartridges;
  • Cartridges for other weapons;
  • Caseless cartridges.

The book does not cover patent decisions; this requires a separate book.
The content and introduction of the book are available on the book page on Amazon. In addition, the content and introduction can be downloaded from my personal website.

I am a new member of the forum and can not download the pages of the book.

Mikhail Grinberg

1 Like

Mikhail, thank you for the details.
I understand from your website that you are working on the technical part of the subject.
Having said this we may say that other books are professional too but are oriented in history and backgrounds while your’s is technical (to my understanding). Maybe worth to notice as for the authors of other books as the term “popular” may be mistaken for “un-professional”.
Any scientifically made book is always welcome.

The question for a potential reader is, does the book contain the type of information that I am interested in? To this end, showing one or two sample pages from your book would be very helpful.

For forum users not proficient in Russian, the above book appears to be in Russian only.
I’ll loosely translate the title as “Development of smooth bore amminition”. It is my understanding that in present day Russia there is a huge legal devide between smooth bore and rifled bore guns. Smooth bore is seen as “good” and can be acquired easily and rifled guns are “bad” and need special permits and are difficult to get. I personally don’t know any better tool for close quater fighting that a smooth bore shot gun.
Wait, I think I am wrong. Amazon took a long time and I looked at Michail’s web site. So it is in English too.

Vlad, those not proficient in Russian need to click into the English section of his website.

Here the excerpts (in English). I just wish there would be also samples of the diagrams.

1 Like

I send you a few pages from the book for a better understanding of the text and graphic content of the book.

In my first book, the development of cartridges for smoothbore weapons is considered.
This theme is well known to me.

Before becoming a writer, I developed and organized the production of dozens of types of cartridges for smoothbore weapons of all the most popular calibers, including shot, buckshot, steel shot, bullet, non-lethal traumatic, and proof cartridges.

At the same time, in Russia, there are no real opportunities for handloading of cartridges for rifled weapons. Only this year, amendments to the law were adopted, allowing handloading of cartridges for rifled weapons. Before that, for several decades, it was forbidden.

1 Like

Mikhail, may we ask in which design bureau or factory you were working?
Are there any of your developments you could show us images of? Maybe also experimental ones?
And did you work on civilian items or also on military and law enforcement types?

1. For 20 years I held the position of chief designer of the joint-stock company TECHKRIM. This is a small and in the past very successful industrial company in the city of Izhevsk, the arms capital of Russia.

2. I have a number of photos, but I don’t like them myself, and I don’t want to show them to anyone.
    I am fundamentally convinced that the designer should not work with pictures or photos. The designer should only work with drawings. In my books, there are no pictures and no photos, and there are only adapted drawings. In accordance with these drawings, cartridges were manufactured in quantities of millions and tens of millions of pieces.

3. During the work, civilian cartridges, military cartridges, and cartridges for law enforcement were developed. The book summarizes the experience of development, testing, and manufacturing of all types of cartridges.

1 Like

Mikhail, thanks for the details.

Tekhkrim is well known.
Do you happen to know more on the background of those 7.62x25 which were obviously reformed from 5.45x39 cases and were loaded with reverse 7.62x39 PS bullets with cut off points?

I have a extremely negative attitude to remake of cartridges of one calibers to cartridges of other calibers using old rusty cartridge cases and bullets. As a production maker, I am convinced that quality products can only be manufactured from quality components and materials. I value my reputation and I would never be involved in this.

I have a copy ordered from amazon and i will bring it to SLICS for anyone who would like to take a quick flip thru it. Before ordering a copy. If you can wait that long.

Dear forum member,

I’m very sorry, but I don’t know what SLICS means.
Of course, you can do everything that is not prohibited by local laws and does not violate copyrights.

I can post a link to more few pages of the book, but only a few pages. I made a commitment to Amazon not to show more than 10% of the book. But the content, the introduction and the pages that I have already shown have almost reached this limit.

Mikhail

SLICS stands for St. Louis International Cartridge Show. I am going to take my copy of the book there so that others can take a look at it and decide if they want to buy a copy for themselves.

Very well, thank you

I too bought a copy & received it today.

Upon a quick look through it I was disappointed. The drawing are not specific to a cartridge but to a general type of cartridges. ie perhaps an AP drawing shows a bullet with a core but not a US Cal. .30, vs a .303" MK 1 AP bullet in core placement, core shape or filler types. Although he does cover some slight variations of filler placement, but again not related to a specific round but as a overview of a variation of possible construction.

So pretty basic stuff, to my mind, however it does cover a number of types, multi-ball AP APT & etc & etc.

The text seems to draw basic requirements for defining different cases, bullets and such. And it does seem quite complete in the definitions of the items discussed, or perhaps I should say well defined.

All this said, look at cartguy’s copy, before you buy, it might be just what interests you or answer questions you might have.

Dear forum member,

I ask you to move your post to the new topic “The book “Constructions of cartridges”: discussion”.
I want to combine all opinions about the book in one topic.

Mikhail Grinberg

Readers of the book should be interested in a section containing a description of tracer bullets. This specific and very interesting kind of bullets is located between two fields of technics: small arms cartridges and military pyrotechnics.
It is safe to say that the literature has not yet had such a complete and detailed consideration of the constructions and features of the functioning of tracer bullets. Even in the most complete pyrotechnic literature, such as “Military and Civilian Pyrotechnics” by Dr. Herbert Ellern, tracer bullets are not even mentioned.
The section containing the description of tracer bullets contains:

• constructions and construction features of tracer bullets;
  • features of the movement of tracer bullets on the trajectory;
  • the factors that determine the tracers observability on the trajectory;
  • features of the choice of components of pyrotechnic compositions of tracers;
  • formulations of tracer, igniter and subigniter compositions used in the US Army.