Container of 431,734 primed .22lr

Here’s something you don’t see everyday; a factory barrel of 431,734 primed empty .22lr cases (3 of them) ready for loading. It is shown on the SBR ammo website and is a recent update to their .22lr tracer page. I have been waiting for over a year on them to get these 22lr tracers into production and this page has been up saying “coming soon” for that long. This barrel photo is a very recent addition so I am hopeful they will get on with loading them soon:

I wonder why it is packed with 431,374 and not 432,000. There must be a reason for it.

Probably loaded to a maximum allowble weight for the shipping method/container?

AKMS

My guess would be that the barrels are filled pretty much by eyeball, then weighed and the label made after the number is determined by weight.

Or, that is how many one person could count in an eight hour shift…;-)

One would require a highly precise large capacity weighing scale to get a count by weight. I’d be surprised if you could get an accurate count estimate within several hundred or maybe a thousand cases that way. Most industrial scales wouldn’t be precise within more than +/-0.1% of scale capacity, if that precise, except for maybe special scales used for weighing gold bars or other high-value materials. I’d guess there was some sort of counter used when the drums were filled, but no idea why the precise odd number.

Dennis, maybe they got weighed in sub quantities. I have a scale that does 2kg in 0.1 gram fractions for example.

Could well be. There are actually counting scales made for weighing bulk quantities of small items very precisely, almost like large laboratory scales. They usually top out at about 100 pounds (45 Kg) capacity, and have a reading precision of several grams in that capacity. Accuracy of the weighing is a totally different issue, as there are dozens of potential sources of weighing error that I won’t get into (i.e., one can get a very precise but inaccurate weight). One could weigh out numerous smaller quantities on a counting scale to combine in the same drum and probably get a better count. Even so, I’d consider it impossible to get any greater count precision than maybe +/-100 cases in a lot of that size by weighing, certainly nowhere near +/- 1 case as indicated on the label.

The question is, is it worth all the cost and effort of making multiple weighings to have a 100% accurate count for a low-value item?

To illustrate the accuracy-precision dilemma, I have a Lyman electronic (strain gauge) scale I use for reloading. It has a readout precision of 0.1 grains. I can take a 50 grain bullet and weigh it several consecutive times, and get a weight spread (heaviest to lightest) of perhaps 0.3 grains - for exactly the same bullet. Why? I don’t know. Fortunately, that error is not large enough to make any practical difference in reloading.

Perhaps the machine that makes them counts them as it spits them out?

That’s just what I suggested earlier - something that counted them as they came off the machine and into the container.

or bob at the end of his shift dumped part of the barrel and that’s what was left.