Contemporary .32S&W (short) headstamps

I happen to sell an unusual amount of .32S&W short in my store, (I think mostly because nobody else in the state bothers stocking it) and I have accumulated what I believe are all of the current production cases and loads that have been offered in recent years. Winchester just very recently did a run, and Remington made some several months ago. Typically it had been Magtech keeping the caliber alive as loaded ammo from a major manufacturer, and their stuff continues to show up more often than the other stuff. I have no idea if these current headstamps are any variation on previous versions - I am sure the Magtech one is not as they never seem to change. Starline does make brass for this caliber, but not many of the small manufacturers seem to utilize it for resale. Wisconsin Cartridge Co. has offered it consistently for a few years, and Reed’s Ammunition in Oklahoma does a jacketed hollow point load for it with Starline brass.

Is the CBC round made in Brazil? According to the internet, .32 S&W is one of the calibres that falls into the “permitted” calibre range for pistols in Brazil. It seems that anything above .38 Special for revolvers and .380 for semi-auto pistols is illegal there.

Perhaps that is why they were the only major manufacturer selling it as they had a reason to produce it in volume?

I also remember reading that all firearms and ammunition sold in Brazil had to be manufactured there.

I apologise if any of this information is incorrect.

That sounds correct to me. Sort of the same reason why .38 Super was so popular in Mexico for so long - they couldn’t own 9x19mm because it was a “military caliber” or some reasoning.

Having dealt with many shooters from México, I can tell you that DK is on the right track, but it didn’t have anything to do with 9 x 19 mm or any other caliber, but more to do with the gun. Mexican gun enthusiasts, and there are many, were always fond of the Colt Government Model, and they knew this pistol well. Some who knew very little about guns overall knew things about the Colt Government Model, especially the pre-war versions to include the treasured (for them) Super Match, that I didn’t after studying it as my favorite pistol, which it still is today, for years.

Their fathers had always told them that the Government Model was the gun to own. However, in their lifetimes, the .45 Auto Cartridge was forbidden fruit for Mexican civilians, as it was an official military caliber (Matt is totally correct about that), so of course, the pistol of choice became the .38 Super. The younger ones, legal immigrants to the USA and therefore able to buy pistols in California, could have bought .45s, but they were so attuned to the .38 Super that this caliber was their first choice.

I do believe that the .38 Super was even more popular in México than it was/is in the United States, and certainly in the US, it is more popular with shooters of Mexican descent than other ethnic groups.

Of course now, it is very difficult to own any center-fire handgun in México (and becoming more so every year in California), so in that country, the question of .38 Super or .45 has become mute.

Many countries, including Brazil, have restrictions on civilians owning weapons of military caliber, not always just pistol calibers. Two of the worst of which I am aware were Italy and France. Italy has relaxed that restriction to a small degree, but as far as I know, France has not. These laws have even given birth to new case types of ammunition; in Italy, the 9 x 21 mm pistol round, adaptable very easily to any pistol made in 9 x 19 Para caliber, and in France, the .30 Court, a shortened case version of the .30 U.S. M1 Carbine round. I understand that cartridge was prohibited also not long after it came out, but I don’t honestly know if that is correct or not. There was also the .45 HP that came out of Hirtenberger in Austria. I am not sure for whom that cartridge was developed, but it is a shortened-case version of the .45 A.C.P. cartridge, developed to get around laws prohibiting civilian ownership of firearms in the latter caliber.

John Moss

hello
for john moss

the 30 short has never prohibited (still classified as hunting and shooting caliber
but the weapon (m1 in 30 short) has been classified because too “many similar” to m2 carbine (full auto) ,in france (in 1995 or similar) all semi or bolt weapons with “same image” as full auto model are classified in “4e categorie” (defense weapon need a permit to get ones)

now all rifle calibers are classified in hunting and shooting but except five calibers ,“the hell calibers” (5.45x39 ,5.56x45 ,7.62x39 ,12.7x99 and 14.5x114)
major of pistol/revolvers calibers are classified

Ammogun - thanks for the correction. I am surprised, though, that in rifle calibers, the 7.62 x 51 mm NATO and the 7.5 mm French are not included in the list of prohibited calibers as well as the .30 Carbine cartridge, since they, too, were post-war military calibers in France.

But then, are many gun laws sensible in any country?

John Moss

hello
yes laws are strange and stupid
they declassified the 7.62x51 but not the 5.56x45 ???
the 5.56 is very similar to 222 rem but less expensive

in another country 5.56 and 7.62 NATO are declassified but if they had the nato symbol in the headstamp they are prohibited ???

other exemples

5.7x28 and 4.6x30 with ball ,frangible … (exept AP) are not classified but not exist "legal"weapons for firing these
i would like to get a bolt action with two exchangeable barrel to fire these two