Coopall powder

Can anyone give me some details about Coopall Powder. I know it was mfg’d. in Belgium and sold in USA by Savage. This would be either Savage 1 , Savage 2 or they made both ???
Greener in The Gun & Its Developement described it as “nitro-cellulose with or without nitrates” …“one of the brands was Emerald Powder colored with malachite green”

[quote=“uscartco”]Can anyone give me some details about Coopall Powder. I know it was mfg’d. in Belgium and sold in USA by Savage. This would be either Savage 1 , Savage 2 or they made both ???
Greener in The Gun & Its Developement described it as “nitro-cellulose with or without nitrates” …“one of the brands was Emerald Powder colored with malachite green”[/quote]

Coopal manufactured a lot of different powders
Excelsior, Perfecta, Coopal 1, Coopal 2, Lion Powder, Coopalite, Emerald, and so on
jp

The actual spelling is Cooppal; you might be able to google up something useful. Jack

Jack—Thanks I did get results with the correct (?) spelling. I have it spelled Coopall,Coopal & then your way Cooppal.
& they are all referring to the same company.

jeanpierre–If you come back to this, which of those you named was a smokeless rifle powder ??

Scott:

Assuming you are talking about early smokeless powder there is a little bit of information on Coopal in IAA #413 (pg. 18).

I believe that Coopal #1 was the same as “Wetteren” powder. Wetteren is the town in Belgium where Coopal was located. The US purchased “Wetteren” powder from Coopal in 1891 for early tests of smokeless powder. A description of this powder can be found in the 1893 annual report of the U.S. Chief of Ordnance (Appendix 16—pg 277).

“Wetteren” powder from Coopal was also examined by the British government and reported on in the final report of the Explosive’s Committee dated July, 1891. In this report, it was described as a variant of the French smokeless powder

FYI….In the historical documents, the Rosbifs were spelling it Coopal and their colonial cousins were spelling it Cooppal…take your pick.

David McKay

If I had thought for a moment I would have realized that making statements about spellings in the Low Countries is an unwise thing to do, but I have seen “Cooppal” used on FN cartridge box labels. Jack

David----Yes, I am looking for the early smokeless powder. Thanks for the tips, I’ll check them out.

Jack—I got more from Google with your version of the name…whatever works.

Excelsior: (grey) smokeless for shotgun
Perfecta, (red) smokeless for shotgun
Coopal 1, smokeless for shotgun and rifle
Coopal 2, smokeless for shotgun smokeless
Royale black powder
Royale Extra : black powder
Alouette : black powder
Lion Powder: black powder
banc d’epreuve : black powder
FFF black powder
FFblack powder
F black powder
Coopalite,
Emerald,
smokeless powder (grey and pink)
Natbrand for riffle
African blak powder for rifle
Kersenkruit
Coolile 7/8 smokeless for rifle
Belgian PL3 smokeless for rifle

uscartco,

"Can anyone give me some details about Coopall Powder. I know it was mfg’d. in Belgium and sold in USA by Savage."
I am curious about your source of information about that(?). Thank you.

I do know that based on some early .303 Savage and .303 Savage Miniature ammunition I have dissected, both the Savage No 1 and Savage No 2 powders were square flake powders.

I have often wondered if .303 Rifleite (.303 British) which is also a square flaked powder made by the The Smokeless Powder & Ammunition Company of London, England was also the Savage No 1 powder…

w30wcf

w30wcf,

All I can tell you is what was told to me by the current Savage historian. Savage had the agency deal with Coopaal from 1895
forward, but he doesn’t know when Savage used the powder & when they stopped. They (Savage) sold large quantities of Cooppal to UMC…who loaded the early Savage ammo…Savage was also “assembling” ammo at the same time … Savage also sold someone’s powder,repacked & labeled, Savage powder #1 & #2.

I’m trying to connect the dots (if possible).

uscartco,
Thank you for that information. I have been a student of the early smokeless powders of american manufacture for awhile now but know little about others. I had not heard of Coopall powder until now.

Thank you again,
w30wcf