Copper boxer primers in modern ammunition?

I have a modern looking .30-30 Win fired case stamped “R - P 30-30 WIN”. Only it is fitted with a very old-fashined looking copper primer cup, with heavily sloping edges. Did Remington ever load this round with this headstamp with a copper primer cup? Or has someone reloaded the case with a very old primer? I have inert round that has had the case drilled in this calibre with this headstamp, with what looks to be the original bullet. This has a very ordinary looking flat brass primer cup. Is the case with the copper cup original or a reload?

Falcon

That primer could be any of the above. I’d really have to look at it to tell. Remington does make “modern” copper primers and, in fact, the #7 1/2 which is a match grade small rifle primer, is used by several Benchrest shooters. The large rifle copper primers are usually found in the “accelerator” rounds and, from the headstamp, I suspect that is what you have. It could also be an older primer that someone used in a handload.

Ray

Falcon-- I agree with the “Guest” posting above that you most likely have a fired .30-30 “Accelerator” case. I have 12 R-P headstamped .30-30 Win. and they all have either nickel or brass primers EXCEPT the Accelerator load. which has a larhe copper primer just as you described.

Falcon

I am “Guest” that so mysteriously answered your question. I just got back home and it was my first try at the new Forum. I forgot to log on but now I have the hang of it, I think.

Shazam!

I’ll be in touch in the next couple of days re our e-mails of last week.

Ray

Ray (and others) - in the process of logging in, the standard browsers will prompt you with a message in some form of “Do you want (Browser name) to remember your password on this site?” If you choose “yes,” then every time you log in, your user name and password will already be in the proper fields and you need only click the “Log In” button to the right of these fields . . . “Shazaam” and you are in.

Well, not “every” time. If you clean out your cookies, history and cache you may need to enter the name / password again, but it will still recognize you.

This saves a good deal of time and aggravation.

A side note on the Rem copper primers - the ones in the accelerator rounds are a special primer developed specifically for that round since they contain a unique powder needed to build up the required pressure. I’m not sure if the primers could be used in standard bulleted rounds but I’ve never known Rem to sell them as a component, although I’m sure they would probably be perfectly safe. I can’t imagine that the Rem lawyers would allow them to market a product that had a primer that would be dangerous if used in other applications.

OTOH, the 7 1/2 small rifle primers are a catalouged item.

Ray

Thanks, I thought it may be a handloaded round, or it could be a fired accelerator case. From what you said the accelerator rounds need a different priming composition. This case has been resized by someone and now contains a very ordinary looking .308" bullet.