Corrosion german WW2 rounds

hello
yesterday i heard that my box of SME LANG that i donated has been mostly destroyed by corrosion (only 6 rounds can be saved by unload and greased the interior of the cases)

headstamp: aux st “dates” 44 and 45

i know if the risk of the steel cased 7.92 ,i don’t know if the same with 9mm german WW2 steel case

but my real question is : it the same risk for the WW2 sporting steel cased rounds ?
i had (all RWS)

6.5x54 steel cws lacquered
6.5x57 steel cws lacquered
7x57 R steel cws lacquered
8x57 JR steel lacquered
9x56 steel lacquered
9.3x57 steel cws lacquered

i wouldn’t lost these rounds by this internal corrosion

thank in advance for your response

HI

All varnished German cases are not resistant to internal corrosion. ( without cws ) Aggressive gunpowder environment. Unfortunately, they require the use of a bullet puller, removed gunpowder and interior protection. Otherwise, holes will fall out in the varnished coating and rust will destroy everything.

Best

Rufus

hello
thank for your response

I recommend this liquid. It leaves a green protective layer. Very good for varnished green cases.

Rufus

1 Like

Hi all, have not been on the FORUM for a while ! But some years ago I pulled the bullets from German 7.92 WW11 steel cases and the propellent when sorted contained at least 10 per cent rust particles and cleaned used WD40 to seal and re seated bullets ! But the unusual thing I found was that 9 mm WW11 German steel cases I pulled bullets from were extremely well preserved not A sign of internal rust whatsoever ! Cannot explain this and have long since traded off rounds for my other interest Grenades ! But I did have several different WW11 German handstamps and others with black sintered iron projectiles ! Might check my old files and note those heads tamps if it was of interest !

I have noticed the very same thing.

Do you have information from the box labels, telling us the maker of the propellant? That would be most interesting.
Lack of thorough removal of remaining acids from the propellants (cutting corners due to late wartime conditions) is the main cause. It could be that traditional makers of propellants like Rottweil were stricter in keeping basic standards compared to the new, purely re-armament factories like Moschwig.

Hi JPEELEN,
All loose rounds I was cleaning up ! I might have in my old files the headstamps and other information like type or round tip colours etc. I had quite a few steel cased among them but traded off long ago for my main interest !

@Terry1, this is not helpful.

You cannot identify the dirty powder from the head stamp. You need the box labels
They used several lots of powder for the same case lot.
It is only an example; I had to look in a hurry.
You can see the case lot is the same wile the powder lot is different.

Rgds