'Coyote-getter' or M44 ejector blanks

I am not sure if anyone is familiar with this device but essentially it was originally a tube staked into the ground with a coyote attractant. When the coyote tried to pull on the attractant it would release a firing pin that would fire a 38 blank resulting in a spray of sodium cyanide into the coyotes mouth killing it almost instantly. A safer device called the m44 ejector was developed and is used in many countries for predator control to protect livestock. The m44 is only a spring loaded device and does not use blanks.
My query is, Has anyone seen any 38 special blanks marked or marketed as being for the ‘coyote getter’ device? My guess would be possible over stamps or labels rather than original packaging. Maybe state or federal Agricultural Department / Wildlife Service marked packets.
What about other cartridges/packets specifically marked for pest control purposes. I have heard of English and New Zealand marked shotgun shells for pest control and NZFS (New Zealand Forest Service) headstamped 270 loads for deer culling.
I currently work in predator control here in Australia hence the interest in these types of cartridges - I havent picked up any examples yet but hope to have a section of the collection devoted to these cartridges.

alpinehunter–Here is the box for the sodium cyanide filled Coyote Getter Device Cartridges. I have had this box since the 1970’s and always thought the cartridges were just for shooting coyotes or for shooting a dead carcass left for coyotes to eat. Thanks for the additional information on them.

As far as I know the only British cartridges marked for pest control (rabbit )were regular shotgun cartridges (probably Eley Grand Prix) and were marked in that way because they were issued free to farmers by the Ministry of Agriculture and hence not for resale or similar misuse.

The cartridges are not that rare and do turn up quite regularly over here, you should be able to pick some up from a British collector. I bet TonyE or Falcon would know somebody who has some dupes to trade. I don’t know how they would ship them though, thats the problem now.

That packet is exactly the type of pic I was hoping for. That is great. Interesting the mention of .41 holders - maybe there are 41 packets out there too.
Vince, I have seen plenty of pics of those British shotshells in A Ken Rutterford book on shotshells, yes they are the ones I was thinking of. I think I may be able to pick some up over here in Aus - there should be a few floating about. The new zealand ones sometimes have the words ‘Rabbit Board’ on them for destruction of rabbits. Not sure if they were issued to workers of the Boards (rabbiters) or to farmers. Thanks for the info.

These devices where used into the mid 60’s with various amount of success, like any device if the trapper knew what type of scent to put on the cotton ball to get the coyote to pull on it it worked well, just to lay out a string did nothing more than to upset people who kicked them and got a surprise, not lethal, but even a small explosion was unexpected. Interesting part of the Midwest predator control trapping program. Vic

Alpine,

Great specialty you’re starting into there.

Ron,

Great box! Here’s the link to the patent number on the overlabel: google.com/patents/about?id= … dq=2166168

Very interesting application I knew nothing about before this thread. All the trap guns I have seen used a conventional projectile of some sort.

Dave

I also looked up the patent and there is some interesting reading in it. Due to the noise of the blank going off, the coyote would run away and even with the relatively fast acting poison may not have been found - not the desired result if the pelts were the reason for setting the devices. To solve this, capsicum was added to the poison mix to create an unpleasant taste that the coyote would attempt to remove which would make them stop running and die closer to the device. Ingenious but wonder if it actually improved the recovery rate.
Vic, modified versions of this device are still used in the US and are being re-trialled at the moment in Australia for use against foxes and wild dogs/dingoes with 1080 poison and potentially a new toxin known as PAPP. A multi-dose version is also in the pipeline according to rumours. Also maybe used in Sth Africa against jackals. The version trialled here has a dried meat bait that is attached to the top as the lure. These are the spring loaded version with no cartridge of any sort. As you said, it is really the skill and attention to detail of the trapper that gets results.

edit
A picture of the devices.

Left to right: M44 piston ejector, Humane Coyote Getter and what I think is a Sth African version called the Fox Buster.

If you type: “Coyote getter” cartridges into Google, then you get some great results about those traps and the cartridges and poisons used. The link here: http://www.jstor.org/pss/3795723 offers a downloadable article from the April 1943 journal of wildlife management about the Coyote getter and its cartridges

I am starting to write up an article about these cartridges and would love any further info that anyone has on them.
Ron, does the box have any of the cartridges in it?
I have got hold of some official detail on the history of the Coyote getter that states Nickel cases were usually used and a whole lot of detail of different trials relating to effectiveness and the ongoing problem of sealing the cartridge against the weather.
The cartridges were originally obtained from the Inventors company but were later manufactured by the Pocatello Supply Depot, Department of Agriculture. They made over 2.5 million of these cartridges and paid royalties on them between 1946 and 1962.
Does anyone have any packets marked with Pocatello Supply Depot (PSD), Department of Agriculture, APHIS, Wildlife Services or similar Government labelling? With 2.5 million plus cartridges made there has to be at least some packets around.

Vic, not always just a surprise for those who kicked a loaded coyote getter - one death did occur in Texas 1966 and a 15 year old boy lost an eye in another incident. There was also an occasion where a woman got secondary poisoning by trying to revive her pet dog - she survived but I think the pet didnt.