Cremated Ashes as Ammunition

A company called “Holy Smoke, LLC” claims to offer the unique service of loading ammunition with human remains (ashes) contained in either the shot cup or sealed in the bullet/projectile.

http://www.myholysmoke.com/

The service costs $1250 and results in 100 rounds of rifle ammunition, 250 shotshells, or 250 pistol cartridges, in the caliber/gauge of your choice. There is a surcharge for wildcat calibers and “larger” pistol and rifle calibers.

Aaron–I posted the following story of doing a similar thing with my Fathers ashes and it did not cost $1250!!!

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5209&hilit=Marlin+salute

I did not realize this practice is as widespread as it seems to be. I know of only one such ceremony, but I was not involved in any way. This was back in the Mid-1980’s. While I was living there, the town had a fairly large and active trap and skeet club, of which I was a member. One of the “Old-Timers” had died, and he had requested that his ashes be fired over the range. There was a military-style memorial service held at the range, and an honor guard of his buddies fired his ashes in several volleys. I think someone blew Taps. I was not present at this event, but it did occur. I don’t know who loaded the shells, or anything about them, but most of the members were shotshell reloaders, so no problem there. There was a memorial skeet tournament after the service. There was a story about it in the local paper. A good way to commemorate a shooter’s passing.

I thought there was a practice among reenactors to fire them from a cannon. Much more the way to go in style. Honor guard etc

Maybe even a business opportunity

John Donovan over at Castle Argghhh! (a gun/military blog) run by a retired artilleryman, recently reported about helping fulfill a friend’s wishes, firing the remains from his cannon, both mixed into the concrete filling of the projectile (none of those wimpy blank loads!) and mixed in with the powder charge itself.

http://www.thedonovan.com/archives/2011/07/sending_preston.html

I would not try any of these things in CA. IL, NY, and others. It probably violates any number of State Laws and Local Ordinances. ;) ;)

Ray–You may be right about CA, IL,and NY, but I doubt it. In almost all,or perhaps all, states, cremated remains have been declared Inert Material (there is no bio-hazard due to the intense heating) and may be scattered or disposed of in any way desired. Here in Michigan the only restriction is dumping large quantities (Like from a crematory of unclaimed remains) into a fisheries waterway, like a stream or river. Even that restriction is not specific to cremated remains, but applies to any particulate or foreign substance such as cement dust, sawdust, construction dust, etc.