Crittenden & Tibbals

I am investigating (hobby) the development of the rim fire cartridge. This is why I am searching for information about Crittenden & Tibbals.

Lots of info can be found about the different sizes and sorts of cartridges they have made. I want to know the real contribution of Tyler Henry by developing the production process of bigger RF shells in 1860. C&T also managed to produce the RF cartridges as big as the .44 Henry in 1860. Is there any relationship between C&T and Henry?

It is this kind of information I am looking for. Can you help me finding such information?

With regards,

Jan van Gelderen
The Netherlands
My website:
http://www.oldmilitaryrifles.eu

Dr. Crittenden-Schmitt will probably be a wonderful source of information; hopefully, he is still checking in on the board from time to time.

BTT

ABOUT 1849 MY GREAT UNCLE, RALPH CRITTENDEN AND HIS PARTNER RICHARD TIBBALS CREATED THE FIRST SUCCESSFUL AMMUNITION FACTORY IN THE UNITED STATES FOR THE PRODUCTION OF ALL SORTS OF DRAWN CARTRIDGES , PERCUSSION CAPS AND ALL FORMS TO AMMUNITION OF INTEREST TO THE GUN MANUFACTURING FACTORS OF THE DAY. SPENCER , SHARPS , HENRY , VOLCANIC, JENNINGS, REMINGTON, JOSLYN,WESSON,BALLARD,BACON,BLISS,WARNER AND SMITH AND WESSON ALL SOLD CRITTENDEN AND TIBBALS AMMUNITION UNDER THEIR OWN TRADE NAME. THE UNION ARMY BOUGHT MILLIONS OF CTM PERCUSSION CAPS AND HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF SPENCER CARTRIDGES DURING LINCOLN

Thank you for your response,

Are your ring , cuff links and vest buttons inhererted from the factory owners? Then I think you should not give them away to collectors but to a museum! Don’t you agree?

Almost all books about lever action rifles describe that Tyler Henry and his team developed the large volume rim fire cartridge from the little S&W .22 short. From technical point of view it was difficult to make large volume shells. It was mainly the .44 Henry RF cartridge that made the Henry the first successfull lever action.

Possibly it was not Henry but C&T who did the job and Henry only made the lever action suitable for it. I think this is a real important part of the American gun history and I would like to know more about it!

I am mainly interested in development history and technical aspects. Can you please tell me which book (title, printed by, ISBN nr) of DEAN or FRANK KRASNIKAS discus such matters.

I would like to have (digital) photos from the C&T plant and staf for the article I am writing about the development of the RF cartridge. Do you know were I can get these?

With regards

Jan van Gelderen
The Netherlands
My website:
oldmilitaryrifles.eu

Jan, for the Dean Thomas books, you’ll be interested in Parts Two and Three. You can find them at
alibris.com/booksearch?bindi … 17&hs.y=19

Krasnikas’s book can be found at
alibris.com/booksearch?qwork … m_sp=works
You may be able to find them cheaper elsewhere, but this should get you started.

Rich,

Thank you for responding,

These two links are what I was looking for.

I want the story with photo’s of plants and staf. Pictures and descriptions of cartridges and packages are not my main interest.

Which of the books is the best choice for reading the story of the development of the .44 Henry RF cartridge? (Who developed it and how? Henry and/or C&T? Still nowbody told me.)

With regards

Jan van Gelderen
The Netherlands
My website:
oldmilitaryrifles.eu

gelderenj–You might be interested in the following 70 page book. It was published in 1984 by A.M.B… P.O. Box 657, Metuchen, New Jersey 08840. I have no idea if it is still available.