"Crossfire Ammunition" using Black Talon coat

I stumbled across another ammo manufacturer of SCHP pistol ammo and noticed that they do some interesting things with their cases & projectiles. The loader is Crossfire Ammunition of Akron, OH, and at first glance they look like any of the dime-a-dozen smalltime ammo loaders who use commercial components, until you notice the black oxide coats they sometimes use. Apparently they have a company by the name of “Cleveland Black Oxide” coat some of their brass and bullets with the very same stuff which Cleveland oxide used to use on millions of rds of Winchester Black Talons back when they used to coat those. See story in link here:
http://www.clevelandblackoxide.com/news_crossfire.htm

Crossfire does some frangible Sinterfire and SCHP loads among others with this oxide coat, and it just looks neat / different. Gold Dot seen below:
http://www.crossfireammunition.com

I would guess that TTI Armory probably did the same thing with Cleveland Oxide on some of their old ammo:

Matt,
Thanks, interesting organization. I just tried to order a selection of their 9mmP, but on the last step the browser hung up, so I sent them an email rather than getting a duplicate order. Will see what happens.

Cheers,
Lew

Just got confirmation. Order went through!

Lew - do you have the TTI Armory black-case 9mm. If so, can you tell us the headstamp that is on it, even if not their own? I don’t recall ever seeing it before.

I am just curious to know if I have it in my collection not identified, or identified from the wrong maker.

There is nothing really special about the blackening process used, and many metal finishing companies perform it, and in fact you could do it yourself. In a way, it is chemically somewhat similar to cold bluing. It’s considered purely as a decorative finish.

Here’s a direct link for Crossfire Ammunition:

crossfireammunition.com/

Note, they have 6 different lines of ammunition.

[quote=“JohnMoss”]Lew - do you have the TTI Armory black-case 9mm. If so, can you tell us the headstamp that is on it, even if not their own? I don’t recall ever seeing it before.

I am just curious to know if I have it in my collection not identified, or identified from the wrong maker.[/quote]

John, my two samples, the 147JHP Subsonic and the 158FMJ subsonic, both have the standard “WIN 9mm LUGER” stamps.

John, See my email

TTI also made a 9mm Tactical Match- 147gr FMJ Moly-Gray blt with purplish gray tip. This moly bullet load is pretty distinctive. I think the two-tone tip is a function of the process, and not intended but it is obvious on all the rounds I have.

Cheers,
Lew

Cheers,
Lew

I received a couple more types of 9mm ammo from Crossfire Ammo, the “Personal Defense” (uses Golden Saber bullets) and “Tactical Defense” (Uses Speer Gold Dot bullets) and they are shown in the photo below along with the Strategic Defense, Black Max, and Tactical Grenade. In the case of what I have, commercial Federal brass is used on the Black Max, and commercial Winchester brass on the Tactical Grenade & Tactical Defense loads, but they used dated S&B brass (some with Nato cross) on the Personal Defense and Strategic Defense loads which makes for good headstamp hunting. So far I have variations of 2010 and 2009 for those.

I also received one box of the “Redcon 5” ammo in .357mag which has the Hornady FTX bullet used in Hornady’s Leverrevolution line. The website refers to this line as the “Redcon 1”, but the boxes have the number 5.

The proprietor, Mr. Milo Abercrombie is very helpful & personable with orders & emails.