Crown Brand

@m89
Lars, some years back you showed a cartridge by Eley with a name “Crown”.

Out of interest I came across this a few months back which I am fairly sure was manufactured by Eley-Kynoch but not sure of the exact date.
I have not seem this Head Stamp with the C- on a case before. The case does not give any clue to the company, it has a shield type logo similar to the Eley shield, and has written

SPECIAL
CROWN BRAND
CARTRIDGE
loaded with
smokeless powder.
Then in small capital letters douille importée literally translates to Imported Socket which I take to mean Imported Case. Being in French I therefor assume it was for a country that had French as it’s main language.

So;
A). Did you ever find out anything more about your cartridge?
B). I wonder if there was any connection to your query?

Cheers,
Mike.

Hi Mike,

A)
I have found a few more of the Eley Crown cartridge, and I know it excist in caliber 12 and 16. It looks for me like it is a special brand production for a Danish whole sale business, that’s why there is no name on the case. Just like the Stirling cartridge from Nobel.

B)
I know of no connection to your french Crown.

Do you by the way know of any more British private brands for the danish market?

Best regards,
Lars

Afternoon Lars,

I can surmise that Mullerite and Trent would have almost certainly have made them as did Eley-Kynoch, my main problem is as I collect English cartridges (England/Wales/Scottland/Ireland) pre 1962, I naively didn’t have any interest if they were not English and even more stupidly keep no record or pictures, just gave them away… Now I take a lot more notice of them and any that are useful I take pictures of, then keep for swaps etc. While some of the better ones I actually keep out of curiosity, unless I am offered something British I don’t have :).

Back to the Nobel Stirling cartridge, that is one that I still find very intriguing. If we take away the ones that are known product brands for example;
Alex Martin; The Stirling

and we ignore Stirling on cartridges that are the place name for example;
Crockart of Stirling

We still have;
Stirling Nobel and Stirling London.

Regards,
Mike.