CTG 40mm M385A1 Practice Projectile

I have been looking for one of these for a while and found it at a Army/Navy Surplus store in TN. It will make a nice addition to my collection.

Very nice! Gotta love the big stuff :-)

Jason

Interesting, I just noticed this same round on EBAY using your picture. Does the blue mean target practice for grenades?

Jason

cgi.ebay.com/CTG-40mm-M169-M385A … .m14.l1318

I want to show you my collection of 40mm
As you can see there are a lot of different one’s

Jason

These are 40mm dummy rounds
They are linked with a special link

[quote=“APFSDS”]Interesting, I just noticed this same round on EBAY using your picture. Does the blue mean target practice for grenades?

Jason

cgi.ebay.com/CTG-40mm-M169-M385A … .m14.l1318[/quote]

That is mine, I bought a couple extra to sell.

[quote=“gyrojet”]I want to show you my collection of 40mm
As you can see there are a lot of different one’s [/quote]

Very nice!

Interesting that the dummy is using a fired projectile and case. What is the case mouth crimp like? Does it look factory or “home-made”? It would not take much to make some dummy cartridges at the unit level if needed…
In my experience, a short belt of 3 to 5 of these dummy cartridges were issued with each MK-19 grenade launcher, but only used to practice loading the belt into the gun, not actually for cycling rounds through it. In practice, the link being pushed to the back of the case when the round enters the chamber makes putting the belt back together again a real chore.

AKMS

Here’s a guy on GB selling a couple, for what seems like waaayyy too much money, but anyway you don’t usually see these types for sale. Is that live buckshot shell considered D.D. ammunition?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=104914212

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=104644375

Actually, the seller, Destiny, is a lady, and heavily into class 3 and destructive device (DD) stuff, all very legal, and strictly by the book. Reportedly, she has been helping the Army get some of their old M79s back into condition as that is her area of special interest and expertise.

She answers a lot of questions on the Impact Arms forum about class 3 and DD material.

I believe that as long as the 40mm round she is offering has no explosives in it, it is not a DD, and not even ammunition without the propelling charge. If it were live, then certainly it would be a DD, subject to registration, BATF approval to transfer, and wretchedly expensive to shoot.

Gyro, your 40 collection is spectacular! Such a variety, very cool! Thanks for those photos.

Jason

Back in the late 1980’s I watched a bunch of fellow Marines burn up a bunch of that “XM” marked 40mm MP (buckshot) ammo on a training exercise. It almost brought a tear to my eye every time one of those rare and valuable rounds went down range…

Oddly enough, given the large size of the 40mm sabot, the payload is only about that of a regular 12 ga. shotshell.

AKMS