Current US munitions book

I recently encountered a book/document on the Defense Technical Information Center online site called PEO Ammunition Systems Portfolio Book 2012-2013 which appears to cover many of the munitions (small, medium and large caliber etc.) used by the US military and then some. Good color photos with accompanying descriptive text. At 251 pages this is a large PDF file and may take a little time to download but for the price (free) you cannot go wrong. Click on the link here: dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a567897.pdf

Brian

Thanks a lot Brian!

A mailorder catalogue for soldiers… Fascinating.
Soren

Mausernut,

That’s a good way to describe it. In a way its like they took TM 43 0001 28 Army Ammunition Data Sheets plus other TM’s and hired an advertising agency to put it all together in a color catalogue/munitions and equipment guide for soldiers.

Brian

I especially like that it gives the DODIC (like A059 for 5.56 M855) for every ammunition, which is otherwise hard to come by.

Sort of along the same topic, does anyone know an internet source for Department of the Army Supply Catalog SC 1305/30-IL? I can’t find a direct link, just to libraries that apparently have copies of it. I do have listings for DODAC (Department of Defense Ammunition Code), DODIC (Department of Defense Identification Code) and NSN (National Stock Number) covering most (but not all) small arms ammunition in current use up through 20mm. By the way, DODIC = NSN + DODAC.

For those that may not know about the Army’s system, a DODAC may have a number of NSNs, as each type of packaging used has a specific NSN. Also, there may be different DODACs for the same basic round in different packaging. For example there are at least 16 DODACs covering the typical 7.62x51 M80 round, depending upon configuration of packaging and other variations, and each of those configurations/variations may have more than one NSN, therefore multiple DODICs. It is a very confusing system for the uninitiated (like me), but it makes sense to those who use it daily. You really need to know the NSN to pin down identification precisely.

Brian–Great document. It says it is a PDF document, but I can’t find a way to save it to my computer as a stand alone document, only as a internet link. Do you know if it can be downloaded as a separate document?

Ron, I can’t speak for your problem but normally your Acrobat Reader should have a small menu bar (half translucent) which pops up in the lower part of the page when the full doc is loaded. There you can choose to save the file ect. Same should be possible through the regular menu bar on top (File, save as, save as PDF, etc.)
You should use the latest available Acrobat reader (available for free). Not only for convenience reasons but also for safety reasons as the older versions of the Acrobat readers were a gateway for infected files/malware.

I urge everybody here to use the latest (newest) Acrobat Reader available. If you do not it is like playing Russian roulette with an auto pistol!

Dennis,

You admit you are uninitiated to the supply system, so perhaps you can accept an input: DODAC is the Federal Stock Class/Group plus the DODIC. Ammunition is FSC 13XX and the group for small arms ammo is “05.” I distributed the complete list of 13XX stock groups at SLICS to those I determined were interested. The DODAC helps identify ammo, in our interests, from similar codes for other commodities, which are also in the supply chain. The DODIC is a four digit alpha numeric code for an item PLUS any “similar” items coded in the supply system as a “suitable substitute.” For example, if a soldier on the battlefield, or his unit supply officer, requests the DODIC for a particular anti-armor 155mm projectile, the supply system will send him the fastest available projectile. Also, in a more basic form, if the troop runs back to the beachhead to pick up rifle ammo, by recognizing the DODIC, he can grab any box that meets his requirement, without sorting through a bunch of NSNs, packing methods, modifications to the round, etc. etc.

Yes, it is confusing, and I only worked with it for 30 years–

Taber

Taber

I knew what I was going to say, but it came out garbled. Strangely enough, some use DODAC and DODIC interchangeably, but DODIC correctly means a 4-character alphanumeric group (such as AA33 for 5.56 M855 in a 10-round clip, in a carton of 30 rounds in a fiber box), and a complete DODAC, which means the 4-figit FSC code (usually 1305 for small arms ammunition) separated by a dash from the DODIC, e.g., 1305-AA33. The 1305 is also the leading number group of the corresponding NSN, which for AA33 is 1305-01-457-4589. Most small arms ammunition logistics personnel would simply call the M855 an AA33 without worrying much whether it was a DODAC or a DODIC as most everything they handle has the 1305 FSC code. And in fact a 4-character DODIC code may be used for more than one cartridge model and packing variation so long as the field mission of the cartridge and its packing are the same.

Ron,

To expand upon what EOD said in his post in trying answer your question on how to download the PDF file to your computer, flash drive or disc. After you click on the link for the document and a new page opens on the computer screen which may be dark grey or you may see the first page of the document there as it downloads to your computer, allow the document to finish downloading. When the document is finished downloading move your curser across the document image and a long dark gray bar should appear near the bottom of the page. On this bar are up and down arrows, page count and current page number and to the far left should be a floppy dis icon (a little square with the top right corner missing) this is the save file ‘button’. Put the curser on this and click and a menu box should appear asking you were you want to save the file. Chose a location and hit save and the file should load to that location. Its not hard once you know what to do.

Now after all that I can’t guarantee any of it because my computer skills are one step above ZERO.

Good luck!

Brian

Ron,

Another way to save the file is to right-click on the link and then select “Save link as…” (if you’re using Firefox or Chrome) or “Save target as” (if you’re using Internet Explorer) from the resulting menu. This will download the pdf directly to your hard drive without opening it in your browser.

Chip–I have, since I posted, figured it out to save the document in PDF format. My original problem was as you described in that when I right clicked I got “Save Link as” and I did not want to save just the link. I did not notice the little icon for saving until pointed out by others. That was the secret. By the way, for what it is worth, I use Adobe Acrobat Ver. 8.1, not Adobe Reader, if that makes a difference.