Cutaways

In my search for reference materials (and the response was wonderful - thank you all), I’m wondering if there is such a reference on military small arms rounds with ‘cutaway’ photos. Anyone aware of such a reference?

Lew, sksvlad, CSAEOD - thanks for recommendations… I will be shopping around.

Thanks

T

P. (Peter?) Labbett’s “Military Small Arms Ammunition of the World, 1945-1980” shows a fair number of cutaways (but most of the book is directed at identification of cartridges, headstamps, packaging, etc.), and Paul Smith (the member here who does most of the “Cartridge of the Month” cutaways) has his own book titled “Variations of Military Experimental Calibres”. Many other cartridge books also show cutaways in one form or another, even if they’re drawings of what the rounds are supposed to look like inside, and not actual photographs.

Where can one find a copy of Paul’s book?

Paul?

The Military Cartridges Caliber 7.62 x 51 NATO, Their development and Variants by Brandt, et al and Die Militarpatonen Kaliber 7,9 mm also by Brandt, et al, both show pictures of several hundred (probabily around 1000 between the two books) sectioned rounds beside the external view of the same cartridge. Chris Punnett’s book called “.30-06” has sectioned views of 25 rare or unusal .30-06 cartridges and bullets.

Hi,

You can PM me and I’ll send details about the book. Yes, it is available.
Here are a few drawings from the book that I put onto one page.

Top row:
Left to right:
9/4.3mm Kaltmann from Phase 8 of the program
4 variations of 5.56 x 45 flechette sabot/boot combinations (there are many more!).
5.56 x 45 French composite case.

Bottom row:
Left to right:
5 mm ARES plastic case
5.56 x 45 Steyr SCF
5.56 x 38 FABRL with plastic/steel core and FIE in case
5.6 mm sabot for caseless flechette
7.5 x 38 Swiss, armour piercing

It appears that you are refering to the Brandt-Windisch book (1981) which is LONG out of print. Good luck finding one.

I am a buyer for a case of them if anyone has them.

PAUL- Please post info on your book. You can make contact info by PM or email instead of posting something the spambots might pick up.

A lot of people would probably like info on your great work.

[quote=“John S.”]PAUL- Please post info on your book. You can make contact info by PM or email instead of posting something the spambots might pick up.

A lot of people would probably like info on your great work.[/quote]

As one who has a copy, I certainly can recommend it.

Variations of Military Experimental Calibers is loose-leaf set of pages in 4 binders which details experimental ammunition up to 20mm. The whole series is expandable and new pages can be inserted without disrupting the existing order. Presently, some 300 calibers (weights, measurements, drawings, history, etc) are described. Some of the calibers described are single specimens, while others have dozens of variations. In total, more than 1000 cartridges/projectiles are described. Where available, I have included copies of box labels and factory drawings. The work currently sits at about 400 pages. I produce annual updates which usually run 40+/- pages and are available by subscription.

Cost is $160 USD for the States (postage included) and 120 EUR plus 30 EUR (for postage) to Europe. I can deliver to the ECRA show in September to save on postage costs. Likewise, I will trade for items I need for my collection.

Each book is customized with the collectors name on it and there are no photocopies