Czech 7.62 x 25

I have a Czech 7.62 x 25 Steel-cased Round stamped “bxn 53 I”. Can this round still be technically called “7.62 Tokarev” in my records, as I thought the Czechs loaded these rounds to higher pressures for the CZ 52 pistol, and too much use of these rounds in a Tokarev Pistol would destroy it. So should it be called “7.62 x 25 Czech High Pressure” or something similar. Also, what is the meaning of the “I” in the headstamp? There are probably simple answers to both these questions.

Definitely 100% Tokarev. A 7.92 Mauser round is still a Mauser round no matter what weapon is chambered for it. The idea that there is “pistol” and “SMG” Tokarev ammunition is false. However, I do believe that Soviet and East Bloc designers focused more on the effectiveness and efficiency of SMGs than on TT and CZ pistols. Therefore most Tokarev ammo is loaded rather hot for pistols, but not beyond their design limits. I’m sure John Moss will confirm or refute this, but I think that line on the bxn headstamp (also on some aym) denotes a single flash hole.

Thanks for the info - the reason that I asked the question was because I had heard that Czech ammo was loaded so hot that it would damage a Tokarev pistol.

Falcon - Jon is right. The single line, which is a dash, not a “1” signifies a single Flash hole. this is just a continuance of the German WWII marking practice, although the dash is turned the other way on this particular Czech ammo. We do not need to be renaming cartridges - Jon is right again. Your round is, among collectors, a 7.62 Tokarev. It is a perfectly valid designation for inter-collector communication. To the Czechs, it is “7.62 x 25 m/m vz 52.” “Tokarev” is much less awkward in conversation. I am not sure, by the way, that this Czech ammunition is that tough on the Tokarev Pistol, and certainly not on the PPSh 41 SMG, and the later models of Russian SMG. The Czechs have managed to increase velocity without a huge increase in pressure. In the Mak cartridge they do this by using a much lighter bullet - a poor swap, in my opinion. I am not sure how they accomplish it in Tokarev ammo, as to me, higher velocity always meant higher pressure. Perhaps they have managed a slower burning powder that is still fast enough for efficiency in pistols - I simply don’t know. Scientifically, I am a moron.

I do not normally tell war stories, but this one really fits in here.
Many moons ago, (almost 30 years worth!) I was at a public shooting range down in the Miami area (yes, Trail Glades).
A fellow was there shooting a nice Broomhandle Mauser using an assortment of surplus military ammo, all of it 7.62x25 not 30 Mauser.
I tried to warn him about the danger of doing so, but in effect he told me to buzz off, and I did.
I short time later there was a louder than normal boom, and then things got interesting.
The bolt stop had sheared off, and the bolt/slide was blown out of the pistol, striking the fellow in the cheek.
He lost a few teeth (I had to remove two broken teeth from his throat so he could breath), had his cheek ripped open and had a chunk of his ear removed. He was rushed off to the hospital, bleeding badly.
Afterwards I helped the range officer collect the guy’s stuff, for storage and the incident investigation.
The ammo he was using in the Broomhandle when it let go was 1953 dated Czech 7.62x25 ammo that was loaded on the 8 round stripper clips, 40 rounds to the box.
That was ammo intended for use with the Czech Scorpion SMG, and that stuff is loaded hot even by CZ52 standards!
Gregg

Ouch! I bet th guy wished he’d listened to you after that happened. I take it it didn’t happen first round, but took the combined effects of a few rounds to weaken it. As far as I know, firing 7.62 x 25 Insted of 7.63 in a Broomhandle Mauser is one of the easiest (and most dangerous) mistakes to make, especially as the rounds are dimensionally identical.