Czech 7,92 with a nickel plated bullet

Got this box the other day. Only got the box, though there might be a slight chance he has got more of that inside the box.
I am a little confused. Nickel plated bullets -“vernickelt”- are they what we usually call cupronickel clad (or plated) bullets? dou made a lot of cupronickel clad projectiles, could this be one of those?

I have the new Windisch, Micke and Kellner book (“WMK”?) but it does not say much about cupronickel though mentions when and where ‘Vernickelte’ bullets were made and used.
btw: the cases in the box had lot 18 headstamps.
Soren

Because the Czechoslovakian factory’s made Czech style cartridges until 1943, it could be they used the leftovers from the M34 bullets production to make SmE bullets for the German forces.

The same cartridge lot number was also made with “normal” bullets.

Dutch

“Vernikelt” means Nickel Plated, NOT “Cupro-Nickel” which latter is an alloy of Copper and Nickel ( also known as “alpaca” or “German silver”)

The Czech ammo was made by this Plating method from 1934 onwards, and then Postwar as well. The Clips were also “Nickel plated”.

It is one of the few makers which actually used Nickel as a Plating rather than as an Alloy compound. Most makers in the 1930s switched to Tombac( gilding metal) or simply copper- or GM-coated steel for bullet jackets in the interest of economy. ( see US M2 Alt).

I wonder what the Bore Fouling was like with these plated projectiles ? ( Nickel, both plated and alloyed, is notorious for Bore fouling.)

Regards,
Doc AV
AV Ballistics.

Daniel Kent in his section on Czech 7.92x57 cartridges remarks of their nickel treatment: “It was done by polishing or buffing the base metal and then depositing a thin coating of nickel on the surface. Undoubtedly, the material had no harmful effects on the bore and may have compared cost-wise with gilding metal.”

This may or may not be so, but in my (admittedly limited) experience with those in my collection, Czech nickel-plated bullets seem to be a bit more prone to corrosion than others. Perhaps this is because the nickel plating is thinner and more easily damaged than gilding metal, a factor which presumably wouldn’t apply to cartridges permanently stored in their original packaging.

John E

Doc AV:

I have fired several hundred of these bullets and even with greatly-reduced loads (think Nahpatrone), they leave scattered, lumpy deposits in the bore. Fortunately, a little scrubbing with a brass brush and Hoppe’s No. 9 gets rid of the fouling. My lot was from the 50’s and came in unmarked “battle packs” and 15-round boxes. A year or so ago, I picked up a few boxes of what appear to be repacks that were tumbled before being boxed; the primer annuli are all packed with a very fine dust.