Czech or Slovakian 7.62 label translation needed

Usually I do fairly well with Czech or Slovakian on line translation web sites, but this label has me stumped.
Joe

This is a Czechoslovakian crate for 7.62x54R cartridges with heavy ball (yellow tip).

As it says “Kovova Vlozka” it had a metal insert what I think was the tins inside the crate.

This crate ( and samples too) was made in Slovakian town Považská Bystrica - ammunition factory “PS” (aym).

Kovova Vlozka = Metal inserts is correct, but the rest I cannot translate. Who to contact?

aym = Povázské Strojárne Národný Podnik, Povázská Bystrica, Czechoslovakia according to the IAA headstamp list, but t would not be the first time the IAA list was wrong.

7.62x54R cartridges with heavy ball (yellow tip). I have no idea, so thanks and I will take your word for it.

Joe

The IAA List is not wrong regarding the code “aym.” It does represent the PS factory in the Slovak Republic, and represented it before the split of Czechoslovakia into the Czech Republic and the Sloak Republic. After the split, it continued in used for a number of years. The code “bxn” represented Sellier and Bellot.

John, thanks for the clarification. What does " PS " stand for?

The IAA headstamp list is incorrect in stating that EC stands for “Evansville Ordnance Plant (Chrysler), Evansville, OH”. Evansville is on the Ohio River, just in the state of Indiana. They also reference Chris Punnett’s book .30-06, CTG Publishing, Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania, 1997
and I looked in there and there is no such reference. Someone needs to fix this. I have written emails about this to no avail. There is also other misinformation that eludes me at this time that I have also mentioned without closure or a reply.

PS=Povázské Strojárne, Povázská Bystrica, Czechoslovakia (now Slovakia), same IAA headstamp code list

I understand about Slovakia becoming an independent state in 1993, but the Slovak Republic, an axis client state of Nazi Germany, which existed from 1939 to 1945 had different boarders. The Germans used the aym code to represent Carl Hoffmann, Aue in Sachsen on ordnance as I understand, but for what I do not know. If I look at my 7.62x54r’s I only have this aym code in 1952 and 1953. What other years did they use this code? Again does anyone know who could translate this crate label in its entirety?

xjda68, Keep in mind that the Czechoslovak post war codes have no relation to German codes of 1940-1045.

Thats why I am asking what time period did Povázská Bystrica use the aym code. Waffenwerke Brünn A.-G., Werk Povázská Bystrica that used dou and P14A headstamps is the same facility under Nazi control correct? When was the aym headstamp utilized to represent that facility’s production?

John, I understand bxn represents Sellier and Bellot for the Warsaw Pact members using the Latin alphabet. How does that tie into the Povázské Strojárne facility at Povázská Bystrica? Is the bxn code not representing the S&B facility at Vlàsim?

xjda68, First, you didn’t find the reference to Evansville-Chrysler in Chris Punnett’s book because they never made 30-06,only 30 Carbine and 45 ACP as far as I know. The identification came out of another reference White & Munhall’s Cartridge Headstamp Guide. I probably made the mistake (OH vs IN) since I spent a lot of long evenings retyping the info from that book for the website and the mistake escaped the people who proofread the material.

The list hasn’t been updated since about 2006 because we have had nobody with the time to do it, so it is badly out of date. Still, if that is the only error I will be very surprised. In fact, I know there are other errors because we know a lot more today than almost 10 years ago.

None of your emails with corrections ever reached me. To whom were they addressed? Please let me know what other misinformation on the list troubles you.

A search for “aym” on the forum shows quite a bit of information. Thread http://iaaforum.org/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=14421&p=102630&hilit=aym#p102630 is a good place to start for info on aym dates but there are other threads also that a search will reveal. a quick look through my book by Karol Smatana on PS production shows a wide variety of aym headstamps dating from 1952 through 1998.

I know the Germans assigned the aym code to Carl Hoffmann machinenfabrik, but I know of no information that this firm produced ordnance, much less ammunition.

Although the Germans allowed considerable independence in their client Slovak State compared the the rest of Czechoslovakia, the Allies did not recognize the German partition of Czechoslovakia, but rather recognized the Czechoslovak government in exile (including the USSR after Germany invaded them). The UN did not recognize this partition. Czechoslovakian troops fought with valor on both the with the Allies on both the Eastern and Western fronts. The Slovak Republic effectively ended with the German occupation in Sept 1944. Whether there was an independent country named the Slovak Republic from 1939 to 1945 depends on whose history books you read.

Cheers,
Lew

Joe, the aym code was first used by Považské Strojárne, národný podnik, Považská Bystrica in 1951. This is the best I can do to translate the label:

aym + = manufacturers code / lacquered steel case (+)
2214/53 = lot number / year
780 = quantity
Nabojov 7,62 mm s ťažkou střelou = 7.62 mm cartridges with heavy bullets (short designation is “7,62-Tž”)
Nc tp 1,2x0,5/1,2-K-nma 5/52 = powder grain size, powder provider, lot, and year
náplň 3,07 gr. = charge 3.07 g

By the way, does anyone have a cartridge in any caliber with a headstamp earlier than aym - + 2 51?

xjda68 - I am sorry, but I don’t quite understand your question to me about "how does “bxn” tie into “aym.” Nothing complicated - Czechoslovakia had two major small arms factories. They used a coding system similar to the German letter-codes. The “bxn” represents S&B and the “aym” represents PS.
Just for another example, CZ used the code “rid” on at least pistols and the factory that made the Czech 7.62 x 45 semi-auto rifles with folding bayonet, vz 52 (?) used the code “she.”

I don’t know what you mean by “tie in.” They tie in because both were codes for Czechoslovak ammunition factories. For whatever reason, after the two parts of the country split, the Slovaks chose to continue with the aym code, just as the Czechs continued for about the same length of time using the “bxn” code.

Perhaps we are trying to make this more complicated than it is?

Lew,
Thank you for the information.

Yes it would be nice to see the IAA headstamp list updated. I sent update requests to cartridgecollectors.org/?page=contact page to no avail or response. I will send future inquisitions to you.

I would also like to know what Carl Hoffmann produced, since the aym code assigned to them was for ordnance.

Thanks,

Joe

Fede

Thank you ever so much. That is exactly what I needed from the beginning.

Joe

John, I understand bxn represents Sellier and Bellot for the Warsaw Pact members using the Latin alphabet. How does that tie into the Povázské Strojárne facility at Povázská Bystrica? Is the bxn code not representing the S&B facility at Vlàsim?[/quote]

John,

I did not understand why you threw in “The code “bxn” represented Sellier and Bellot” when we were discussing the aym code pertaining to Povázské Strojárne facility at Povázská Bystrica? I tough there was some tie in with ownership of the two facilities, or some point you were trying to get across that I was missing, thats all.

I jumped to conclusions when I seen THV post that The crate was made in a Slovakian town called Považská Bystrica. Which is correct in a way, since the people there most likely consider themselves Slovakians. I do know what I have read concerning about how that area was officially governed and called from March 14th 1939 to May 8th of 1945, which was the Slovak Republic. I never paid much attention to how the soviets influenced or governed it under the Iron Curtain. I did remember there Independence in 1993 however.

I do not understand however, why some Warsaw Pact members using the Latin alphabet were allowed to use letter codes, when others used numbered codes?

Joe

Fede, are you sure there is an aym headstamp out of 1951? From what I see in my collection the predesessing geometric codes date at least up to 11 51 and aym starts with the dash (single hole priming) in 52. bxn is a different story.

Hans