Czech Post WWII boxes for ndn and oma 9mm Cartridges

During the late 1940s, Czech factories made brass case ammunition using German WWII codes ndn and oma, sometimes dated “44”. The two German factories using these codes never produced ammunition and the rounds are post-WWII. Apparently the codes were used to disguise the source of the cartridges.

Although rounds with these codes are often encountered, I have never seen an original box for either cartridge.

Has anyone seen the box for either of these cartridges???

Cheers,
Lew

Do we know who the end-users were?

Israel 1948?

While maybe not the only end user, I agree with Peelen that Israel probably got a lot of the ammo. The Czechs were very friendly to Israel until the USSR invaded Czechoslovakia and controlled things for years thereafter, forcing the Czechs to follow the Soviet preference for the cause of all the troubles in the ME, rather than Israel.

Years ago, Pacific International Merchandising Corp. of Sacramento, California, brought in a huge shipment of loose, largely “battle-field scrounge” ammunition from Israel. There were big wooden boxes that perhaps held as much as 10,000 rounds of 9 mm just loose in the box. It took a decent fork life to move them. We skimmed only the top of one - all we had time for on a visit there - and looked through perhaps a thousand rounds of ammo. While there was stuff from all over the globe in there, we found plenty of “ndn” and “oma” stuff among it. Regretably, we did not find an “oma 44” which is incredibly rare.

I think it is hard, though, to ascribe it to one recipient and one year. Both the oma and ndn headstamps are found with black primer seals, red primer and neck seals, a kind of a grey bullet but I don’t think sintered-iron, GMCS and even brass-jacket bullets. It would appear that it was made over a time period, or perhaps simply loaded more than just in 1948. The ones with red seals may even be a remanufacture along the lines of what Iterarms had done with corrosive Finnish 9 mm to have it turned into non-corrosive, in Finland, which including resealing the cartridges, formerly mostly with green seals, all resealed with red lacquer to indicate NC loading.

Some of the other countries heavily represented in that ammo we went thru at PIMCo were Egypt, Syria, France, England, US, Israel, assorted WWII Western European. Some not so prolific in number were Yugoslavia, Bulgaria and Lebanon. I am sure I am only remembering about half of them. Even the little I gleaned from what we went thru were a big help to what was then a fairly modest collection of 9 mm, including my only Lebonese rounds ever available to me, Syrian, a couple of good Yugo rounds, and a couple of equally good Bulgarian. My French collection tripled or quadrupled from that trip to Sacramento.

Those were the good old days for cartridge collectors of imports of surplus military ammo. Yes, they really were!

I never saw any ‘ndn’ or ‘oma’ headstamps in Israel, or the boxes.

Jon - the two questions that have to be asked are when were you there, and how much assorted 9 mm ammo did you actually have a chance to look through?

When PIMCo brought in their shipment, it was probably the complete holdings of some warehouse in Israel, not stuff floating around. I agree with Peelen that it probably represents shipments of ammo to Israel, and that would have been quite early, probably before you were born. I say that because after about 1949, I don’t think the Czechs were probably able to supply much to Israel due to the increased Soviet influence in their country. PIMCo’s shipment included 9mm, 7.9 x 57, 7.62 x 51 and probably .303, although I didn’t see any of that when I was up there. Probably many other calibers as well. They had only unpacked about 1/3 of it. I wish I remembered what year it was we were up there. I know that Steve Fullet and Randy Elzea went up together about a week before I could get up there. They both found a very good Bulgarian 9 mm, among dozens of other rounds, that it took me another 30 years to find. Of course, there was later stuff too, but nothing much that would have been from the pre-independence of early post-independence years. A lot of Israeli 7.9 x 57, for instance. As I recall there were some of the uxa and ux coded 7.9s, although the bulk of those came into the US much later than PIMCo’s batch, and in better condition too, some of it being in original, sterile boxes. I would have liked to have put about 50 hours into searching that stuff. I probably would have tripled what I found in the four or five hours we were there.

I was there through the '80s, and I did lots of digging for ammo, both for shooting and collecting. Not saying it didn’t go to/through Israel, just that I never saw any. I spent lots of time in training areas that pre-dated the War of Independence, and went through pockets full of fired cases.
Oh well, you can find or keep everything.

Fred Datig claimed to have found the first “ndn 44” headstamp in a pile of ammo held by the police (German Police I believe) in the early 1950s. He was quite proud of that fact.

I agree that they probably went a lot of places. The first “oma 44” that I learned of turned up in South Africa about 40 years ago.

About 10 years ago, I bought 5000 rounds of surplus Israeli. Some was dated into the early 1990s, but a surprising amount of early stuff. About a dozen pre-independence A E 7 or 8 rounds, lots with the early Hebrew headstamps, British TH and RG rounds from the 50s, FN from the 50s through 70s and of course Egyptian. No ndn or oma in any of this, or any Eastern Bloc ammo.

Cheers,
Lew