D.C.Sage Navy Pistol 36-100 calibre box made for W.J.Syms

A trip to a small {very small, 5 (five, cinco) tables!!!} local show brought an unexpected result. I am severely out of my league here, so any info/advice is appreciated. Originally I wanted to remove one of the rounds, but found it stuck, and fearing black powder, decided to leave it alone. May someone post a picture of how the rounds inside look?

Hi Vlad,

See the very first entry on here: cartridgecollectors.org/?page=glossary

Do you have Dean Thomas’ Round Ball to Rimfire books? If so There is a whole chapter in volume 3 (pp. 115-140) on D. C. Sage, including pictures of the cartridges, this box, other boxes, etc. I could scan a couple pages in if you don’t have it.

People seem to sell full boxes of these for round $500

Thanks, Aaron. I knew that $5 for this beat-up box was a good deal. I just hope the powder is still stable. Any thoughts on this? Do I need to keep it in a metallic container just in case? You are the expert!!!

Vlad, keep that protected in some kind of solid container like a flat plastic box. I would not try to remove any of the rounds.

As long as you do not take a flame to it it should be fine. I agree with not removing it from the container as well, as they will most likely fall apart. Also, I am hardly an expert on these! there is no pin sticking out of them!!

needs an X-ray! maybe if you payed local vet clinic they would do it for you?

US Patent # 34, 367, dated as on the box wrapper, by Julius Hotchkiss, Middletown CT. - Cartridge - Combustible cartridge case of gut, wound spirally in opposite directions.

To my mind black powder unless loose or in a large quantity doesn’t pose much danger. It doesn’t deteriorate the way smokeless does, but is comparatively stable.
Jon’s comment about a small plastic box is right on. Perhaps cushioned with a little cotton, to keep it from moving inside the box?

This one is a .44 skin but yours would probably be very similar.

I can’t say for sure this is the patent variation, but the gut does appear to be spirally wound. Often the actual product manufacture does not meet the exact patent specifications probably because once it’s stated being manufactured, short cuts are found & used. Still & again, I can’t say for sure this is a Hotchkiss patent example.