D-DAY, June 6, 1944

Don’t forget to pause for a few minutes to remember those guys, from all countries, who gave all they had 65 years ago today.

I 2nd that! I spent most of the day watching amazing documentaries on D-Day with accounts of survivors. Just incredible! Those guys were MEN! The World owes so much to them on so many levels.

J

Thanks, Ray… For posting…I can’t say it any better than Jason…(I also watched the cool stuff)…AND…we should also remember that this time of year…June 4-6, marks the 67th anniversary (1942) of one of the most important battles in naval history…and the “turning point” in the Pacific War…MIDWAY…

I just spent 2 days at a huge WWII event at MAAM, Reading,PA. Guys, you would really love it there. So many events and shows happening at the same time. A lot of WWII vets telling their stories, book signings, WWII music, fashion shows, people dressed like WWII, talking about WWII,living WWII. It was really great. Strongly recommend to anyone interested in WWII, I learnt a lot. Those re-enactor guys know their stuff.

I hereby give hearty thanks to those who fought, and to those who died, then and now.

I guess that unlike most of you I have been all over the the beaches and the drop zones of Normandy .
It would have been the place to be yesterday. Loads of veterans and their families make the trip each year although the numbers are dwindling.

Remembering my Uncle Harry who parachuted in the night before to mark the landing site for the gliders at Pegasus Bridge. He survived the war but died a young man of asbestos related cancer. He was a carpenter and builder.

• I visited the beaches, the drop zones and the military cemeteries from Normandy (France) in early 1990s. The landing of the Allied troops in Normandy on Tuesday, June 6th 1944, was the beginning of the end for the Wehrmacht on the Western front. Each year it has been a ceremony to salute and commemorate the honor and the memory of those who did fight and died there on D-Day. I’m not sure if the surviving German veterans are invited to attend the ceremonies for D-Day but they should be there too. In fact without the German troops in Normandy in June 1944, the events of D-Day could not happen. Liviu 06/07/09

Edited as I misinterpreted/comprehended what was posted.

I believe that Germans do attend, which I think is a good thing.

• @ Armourer: I’m 100% sure all the Germans wish today that in 1944 was peace and nobody had to die in Normandy on June 6th. => I know that the old German survivors are invited to commemorate some WW2 battles [North Africa, Monte-Cassino in Italy, etc.] together with the old Allied survivors. In my opinion it’s very good that the “old enemies” of yesterday can be together today as friends in order to show the world that it’s much better to live in peace. Liviu 06/07/09

When we watch the ceremonies and celebrations today, it’s easy to think of the D-Day soldiers as old men. But we have to remember that most of them were 18, 19, and 20 year old kids who would have rather been anywhere else on earth that day. No matter what country they were from, whether allied or axis, they were there because they had few options. Politicians make wars but kids fight them. 65 years later we don’t seem to have learned a damn thing.

Ray

• I like to watch WW2 documentaries and good action movies about WW2. It’s amazing how many silver screen actors from Hollywood joined the Army or the Navy after December 7th 1941 [James Stewart, Clark Gable, Wayne Morris, etc.] and became from movie horoes real heroes. Can you imagine those young clowns of today from Hollywood [most of them hopeless drunks sniffing illegal substances] joining the Army or the Navy to fight for their country??? Liviu 06/07/09

Some of these WW II Hollywood guys and gals may surprise you.

palletmastersworkshop.com/flipside.html

Ray

• @ Ray Meketa: Very nice and interesting web-site you posted above. Many guys served in WW2 and became well-known actors after 1945. There is a list of some of them: Jack Palance, Robert Ryan, Lee Van Cleef, Telly Savalas (“Kojak”), Brad Dexter, Eli Wallach, Claude Atkins, J.D. Cannon, Thomas Morgan Woodward, Harry Dean Stanton, Jason Evers, Jeremy Slate [he landed in Normandy on D-Day] and many others. => James Gardner and William Smith are both veterans of the Korean War. Liviu 06/08/09

• I’ll post below a list of more American actors who are also WW2 veterans [I hope they were not listed above]: Jeff Chandler, Hugh O’Brian, Louis Hayward, Bill Lundigan, Jonathan Winters, Tony Bennett, Art Carney, Tim Holt, Jack Warden, Sammy Davis, Jr., William Holden, James Coburn, David Ossie, Peter Graves, Hal Holbrook, Tony Randall, George Reeves, Cesar Romero, Jack Webb (“Dragnet” series) and many others. Liviu 06/09/09

Liviu

Don’t forget the number one soldier-turned-actor, Audie Murphy.

Ray

• @ Ray Meketa: How could I forget him??? He is already listed in the web-site you posted above on June 7th. Liviu 06/09/09

John Agar was an interesting chap also. He played the anti-military Colonel’s son in “Sands of Iwo Jima” with John Wayne. He actually was a WWII Marine vet. He also played the love interest to a grown up Shirley Temple in one of the Cavalry Trilogy that John Ford/John Wane made, and ended up marrying Ms. Temple, although the marriage didn’t last long.

Hollywood was really a different place when I was growing up. Most (not all) of the actors and actresses were decent people (although marriages often didn’t last long - I can’t imagine the stress when two successful people in one busines get married) and many were really war heroes.

Today, we get Shawn Penn (I probably spelled his name wrong and really don’t care) and Barbra Streisand, not to mention the hero of the North Vietnamese Army and directly responsible for the deaths of several POWs there, Jane Fonda. What a disgrace they are.

Still, there are a few that still have their heads on straight, but not many.

[quote=“Ray Meketa”]Liviu

Don’t forget the number one soldier-turned-actor, Audie Murphy.

Ray[/quote]

He’s buried in Arlington, I’ve seen his grave. The grass around it is all worn so a lot of other people remember him too.

• I’ve always liked the actor Lee Marvin [1924-1987], a real war hero from Pacific. See his grave here and some interesing facts about Lee Marvin => hollywoodusa.co.uk/GravesOut … marvin.htm Liviu 06/10/09 P.S. Another American actor and also WW2 veteran was Lex Barker [1919-1973]. He was wounded fighting in Sicily.

• I made a list with the British actors I know to be WW2 veterans. Most of them are familiar faces from WW2 movies too. If my list isn’t complete, I hope somebody from UK can help. => There is my list: Richard Attenborough [born in 1923]; Dirk Bogarde [1921-1999]; Richard Burton [1925-1984]; Denholm Elliot [1922-1992]; Peter Finch [1916-1977]; Stewart Granger [1913-1993]; Alec Guinness [1914-2000]; Rex Harrison [1908-1990]; Laurence Harvey [1928-1973]; Jack Hawkins [1910-1973]; Trevor Howard [1916-1988]; Christopher Lee [born in 1922]; Patrick Macnee [born in 1922]; Kenneth More [1914-1982]; David Niven [1910-1983]; Laurence Olivier [1907-1989]; Donald Pleasence [1919-1995]; Anthony Quayle [1913-1989]; Terry-Thomas [1911-1990]; Richard Todd [born in 1919]; Peter Sellers [1925-1980]; Jack Watson [1915-1999]; Percy Herbert [1920-1992 => He was captured by the Japanese and spent a few years as POW]. Liviu 06/10/09