D-Day June 6, 1944

66 years ago, to the hour, an air assault landing of 24,000 American, British, Canadian and French airborne troops began, followed 6 1/2 hours later by an amphibious landing of Allied infantry and armoured divisions on the coast of France.

Don’t ever forget.

I would like to add “God Bless Them One and All” - " Least We Forget"
Many of my instructors when I went thru my Special Forces Training
( 77th S.F. Gp. Abn.) in 1957-58,were Old WW II 82d or 101 Airborne Division vets of Normandy.They were a great group of individuals,that I will never forget.
Respectfully Submitted

Charles.J.Wells (Jack)
SGM.USA.Ret.

American Cemetary. Omaha Beach.

My Uncle Harry was literally one of the very first men to set foot in France. He dropped in ahead of the gliders at Pegasus Bridge to secure the landing zone. Although he survived the war he died a young man from asbestos because he worked in construction after the war. I never got the chance to talk to him about it.
He was in 6th (Airborne) Div which almost exactly paralleled the 101st US starting from the Normandy Landings and ending up in the Ardennes Forest in mid winter.

[i][b]You are about to embark upon the Great Crusade, toward which we have striven these many months. The eyes of the world are upon you. The hopes and prayers of liberty-loving people everywhere march with you. In company with our brave Allies and brothers-in-arms on other Fronts, you will bring about the destruction of the German war machine, the elimination of Nazi tyranny over the oppressed peoples of Europe, and security for ourselves in a free world.

Your task will not be an easy one. Your enemy is well trained, well equipped and battle hardened. He will fight savagely.

But this is the year 1944! Much has happened since the Nazi triumphs of 1940-41. The United Nations have inflicted upon the Germans great defeats, in open battle, man-to-man. Our air offensive has seriously reduced their strength in the air and their capacity to wage war on the ground. Our Home Fronts have given us an overwhelming superiority in weapons and munitions of war, and placed at our disposal great reserves of trained fighting men. The tide has turned! The free men of the world are marching together to Victory!

I have full confidence in your courage and devotion to duty and skill in battle. We will accept nothing less than full Victory!

Good luck! And let us beseech the blessing of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking.[/b][/i]

Gen. Dwight D Eisenhower

One of the reasons I liked Ike.

I liked Ike. He and I were in the service together. Of course, I was a lowly cracker-jack sailor boy and he was CinC. My first vote for POTUS went to Ike.

Ray

Here’s my own personal WW II hero. My big brother. 1st Lt, 6th Air Force, B-24 pilot. After the war he was in the Illinois ANG and had to put in the required number of flying hours each month. He would check out a Piper Cub and I would arrange to meet him in a remote farm field where he would land and pick me up. I’d cram myself in behind the seat, no parachute, and we’d fly around all day doing stunts trying to make me air sick. If he had ever gotten caught he would have done time in Leavenworth. He’s now buried in the National Cemetary in Santa Fe, New Mexico.

Thats a good story Ray. I like the personal stories they make it all so real. a good friend of mine Jim Taylor of Omaha Nebraska died last year. we covered many battlefields and drank many beers in French bars.
On the wall of his house he had his father’s discharge papers signed by his father’s commanding officer George Patton.

One of my customers died a couple of weeks ago, a nice old guy who I used to talk to about the fish he kept in his pond and were his pride and joy. At his funeral there was an honour guard. He completed over 100 bomber Ops (raids) against Germany as air crew. Never said a word, I had no idea. Too late now.

I have visited all those beaches and been to many other places in and around the area. The cemeteries are the most poignant reminders, so many of the men were so young. thats what I came away with more than anything else was the feeling of waste rather than sacrifice. Most of the landings were relatively unopposed. it was only really Omaha Beach that had the problems. The real difficulty started after they had landed and tried to break out. We should never forget it, it was a massive and totally selfless contribution that finally brought the war to an end and it very nearly failed. We look back on it now as a a total sucess but it was only the efforts, and sacrifice, of the men on the ground that pushed it through. It very nearly didn’t happen and thats what we should not forget. Had it failed there would never have been a second chance. Britain and the US would have gone for a negotiated peace.