D day

On June 6th, 1944, many gave their lives while serving the cause of freedom. We should pause and give thanks to God that these brave men, from all countries, did what was necessary to keep this world free.

There was no hue and cry to immediately pull our troops from France and surrender as there is today. There were no political candidates waving the white flag of surrender.

These men of D-Day are not known as the greatest generation for nothing. Please pause in your busy schedule and thank God for them.

Ray

Ray - you are a good man! thanks for drawing this date, none more important, perhaps, in history, to our attention. I saw not one mention of D-Day in my morning propaganda rag, the San Francisco Chronicle. Of course, it is an unofficial opinion paper for the People’s Republic of Kalifornia. Heck, I don’t even have a Canary so I could use it for all its really good for.

Today is the anniversary of what should be a day of great pride (and great sorrow for all those incredibe then-young men who died or were wounded there) for Americans and their participating allies of England, Canada, Free-France in exile, and any others that participated. They are loved and their memories cherished by many of us, and that includes those still among us today, not just the men who were at D-Day, but for all those that sacrificed so much in a horrible war.

It is a day that also brings to mind, though for most it is ever present, the deeds of fine young men and women serving in harms way right now. Bless them, as well as their fathers and grand fathers who served and sacrificed so long ago.

youtube.com/watch?v=Px_XBJHrs4I

Hope this link works.

It puts things in perspective with today’s media mentality.

I believe we’ve lost something over the years.

Every year…I wake up on June 6…and say to myself…so many years ago today…this year…it is 64 years ago…and it still means more than just about anything else that ever happened…Let’s not ever forget what the “greatest generation” did on that day…Randy

I don’t forget.Five of my uncles were in WWII.Two in Italy & Three landed in Normandy.One on D-Day & two a couple days later.The one who landed on the 6 th was killed on the 9 th.The youngest was killed in Germany one month before the war ended.I can’t forget.

I didn’t see anything on TV either on the day or over the weekend to mark the anniversary. Had the radio on in the car as well (and thats tuned in to a news station) but nothing there either.

My uncle Harry parachuted in on D Day ahead of the gliders at Pegasus Bridge. That means he must have been one of the very first to land on French soil. He survived the war but died a young man from cancer.

I have visited the landings, its worth a visit and there are some good tours.

You get the impression its not thought PC to report on it these days.

Dick and Vince - none of us should ever forget the sacrifices made by families like yours at D-Day, nor of those who fought that just war. With that era rapidly drawing to a close, we must take every opportunity given to us to thank these men and women and let us know what a special place they hold in our hearts. They will not be among us forever.

Ray,

I was at Safeway today and saw an old gent (darn - I’m an old gent!) wearing a baseball cap proclaiming him a WWII veteran. I took your lead and went over and just held out my hand and said “Thank you.” He responded - “I’'m a WWII vet.” we talked a brief moment. He was in the lst Artillery Bn of some Division that I didn’t hear as he talked softly and I am a bit deaf from too much gunfire. He was at Normandy during the D-Day landings, which I didn’t know from his hat. I could see he was pleased, and quite frankly, not that it is important, I walked out of the market feeling pretty good! I will continue to follow your lead anytime I know a man is a combat veteran. Thanks, buddy.

John

When I first starting thanking all those vets, I was shy and reluctant because I was thinking that they didn’t want to be bothered and I had no business intruding in their lives. But, it became easier and easier because I have yet to meet one who was not warm and friendly and appreciative. I’m still a bit embarrassed when they thank ME for MY service in return.

I have met some Viet Nam vets who were/are still bitter about the reception they received when returning home and were gruff when I first introduced myself. But even they warmed up to me and I know they appreciated my thanks and “welcome home”.

I have finally bought myself one of those ball caps with a “US NAVY VET” logo on it and I wear it wherever I go. I have yet to meet one of my old shipmates (not many of us left) but I have met other swabs from other ships and from other eras. But I consider any vet to be my shipmate.

Ray

Sorry,speaking about IIWW I would like to say “thank you” to all the brave men who fought and died for our liberty.Here I would like to say " I won’t forget you" to my relatives killed by nazi in 1943 in Tarcento and Buchenwald.

It’s quite easy to identify vets in Manitoba.They get special licence plates for their vehicles,if they want them.The letter sequece starts with “V” & across the bottom ,the full width of the plate it says “VETERAN”.All veterans, not just WW II.

As a young lad, I met a D-Day veteran. He was the grandfather of a playmate, and although I was very young and only had the barest sense of what “D-Day” was all about, I just knew this man was special…

I get terribly embarrased when people thank me for my service and feel awkward when I thank the newest crop of veterans for their service.

As a veteran and a student of military history, when I think back to the hell that all soldiers and sailors and Marines (of all nationalities) went through during WWII, I still feel humbled…

It is the connection to military history that still drives my interest in cartridge collecting…

AKMS