DAG .30 carbine, any idea of it's age?

These have either two L’s or an L and a T opposite each other on the headstamp.
Is this 1960’s or earlier?

Soren

What was the purpose of this code when even NATO used regular Arabic numbers? One had to keep it around not to make a mistake, kinda a headache.

This symbol date code was used on some contract ammunition in some calibers - I know that the Dutch got a lot of ammunition with these codes in 9 mm Para and perhaps other calibers, and I don’t know why they would code the date for that type of contract. However, in some calibers and dates, ammunition so-coded was boxed and sold commercially. Commercial ammunition is normally not dated because many members of the shooting public have an idea that ammunition more than a year or so old is no good anymore, and would not buy ammunition dated from five to ten years after production, but still on dealer’s shelves. That’s one of the reasons some factories hold their lot number codes so secret.

People more aware of the quality of ammunition realize that ten or even fifteen years in age is not “old” for most quality ammunition when stored in a normal commercial environment (the shelves or warehouses of commercial enterprises).

There may be other reasons for not plainly dating commercial ammunition, but I am unaware of them if there are.

John Moss

OK, thanks all. John’s story on the perceived aging of ammo among civilian users is one I know too well, having a couple of hunters in the family. The 16 year old AMA 7,62 Nato i shot in a friends’ M14 this weekend worked perfectly, having been stored properly by the danish army :-)
Søren

Even 7,9x57 from the WWI era works with only very few misfires. 95 years old!

Hans