Damaged cases

Recently, I got these 6,5 x 55 cases. According my source, they come out of an old Scandinavian military shooting range. Not sure it was Sweden, could be Norway too… Only the right one seems “normal”. The two others are badly damaged as seen on the pictures. What could have caused this damage? Bad rifle? Worn out chamber? Wrong gun? And if so, which one?

Badly cut 6,5x57 chamber?

Fired in the wrong chamber? If the graph paper is metric the necks have expanded beyond what I would expect for this cartridge shoulder is way too long?

Looks like somebody ran a drill into the chamber.

Someone wildcatting?

I wonder if the two cases on the left were fired from a Ljungmann M41 Rifle? I had one of those briefly, but found the sensation of gas in the face, and the almost total destruction of the cases (for purposes of reloading) not to my liking, and sold it. I don’t remember the creation of any double shoulder like that (it is the norm for the 7.5 Swiss fired in the Swiss Sturmgewehr 57, due to the chamber shape, which is a design feature that I now forget the purpose of).

Just a thought. As I say, I don’t recall the particular deformation of the case, but that was years ago when I owned the Ljungmann (probably spelled wrong) so, as they say in Spanish, ¿Quién Sabe?

John Moss

A failed second coming of Ackley?

Dugjans, here is a possible explanation for the two damaged 6,5x55 cases you have. The Swedish army used to have an MG called ksp m/14, which was the Austrian Schwarzlose in 6,5x55. This gun has a retarded breech block locking system. The breech block starts moving rearwards while there is considerable remaining chamber pressure. This causes the shoulder of the case to be blown forward during extraction from the chamber. The gun has a built in oiler which sprays light oil om each cartridge before entering the chamber. Here are two cases that I have personally fired in a ksp m/14, and as you can see they have the same shape as your cases. Both of my cases are dented at the case mouth, but that is because a case deflector was mounted over the ejection slot.

2 Likes

I have not had that problem with my AD/42b, other than looking for where the ejected cartridges went.
The case mouths do not look larger to me, I think it is an effect of the angle the shot was taken, and the rounds being ‘tilted’ slightly. It looks more to me like the left cartridge mouth is not a blown open as much as the other two… or also an ‘optics’ illusion?

Just in case my post wasn’t understood or even believed, I’ll refine it. The case on the left here was fired in the Swedish machine gun ksp m/14, which is shown here. The suggestion that the damaged cases were fired in a Swedish rifle ag m/42 (Ljungmann) is interesting, but not true. The second case here was fired in such a rifle, and since the mechanism is fully locked, the case shoulder isn’t blown forward. For comparison, the third cartridge is a factory 6.5x55.

IMG_0789