Danish 7.92x57 box

I “salvaged” this $3 beat-up box of wooden blanks from a show in Kentucky because I loved the variety of headstamps, for instance, Brno’s “Z” I’ve never seen before. All pieces contain a small circle overstamp which, if my memory is still with me, means a reload. How long after the war did Denmark use 8mm Mauser?

A very nice box!

Denmarks Navy used the “7,92 mm Karabin M/98 k” (captured german K98k Mauser carbines) after 1945 until the "7,62 mm Gev

Be careful what you ask for. I went thru 10,000 rounds of these blanks and have about 600 headstamps with the “O” overstamp in my collection, all Danish blanks of course. My favorite is the reload mark “O” on an unheadstamped case, the only one I found, because it is the only one with only the “Danish” headstamp of “O”. There were most of the common German number coldes, some letter codes, lots of Czech and Polish headstamps, and even a couple of Bulgarian and one Portuguese. I forget what else. I have only seen the blnaks on brass cases, no steel ones.

There are also dummies, but while found in brass and steel cases, the headstamp assortment doesn’t seem to be anywhere as wide as for the blanks. The dummies have three cannelures on the case.

The other good headstamp I found in these Danish reloads was a “ch” code brass cased round, the only sample of a “ch” (Fabrique Nationale d’Armes de Guerre, Herstal) brass-case 7.9 x 57mm in my collection. A fairly rare headstamp/case-material variant, I think. Too bad it is not an original loading, but it is still a good one, I think.

Good pics of a representative selection from this box will satisfy me this time ;-)

Bitte sch

Not sure I understand. Is there intimation here that the Danes rebarreled M1 Garand rifles to 7.9 x 57m/m? I don’t think so. They used it in .30-06 caliber, so it would have nothing to do with these reload blanks. I have a Danish-contract M1 rifle made by Beretta, and of course, it is .30-06 too. I don’t think any of them were rebarreled unless they needed a new .30-06 barrel.

While visiting Copenhagen in 1972, in the “circle” that part of the Royal Palace is in (I think that’s what it was), at one corner of the street that passed thru the cobble-stoned circle was a guard house. Outside, they had their M1s at stack arms. I risked walking up to the unguarded (!!!) stacks, bent over, and looked at the rear of the receiver of a couple and they were American made Garands. I only saw two out of about 40. You couldn’t leave weapons like that stacked outside for 10 seconds in most places - at least some would disappear. I am sure we could have grabbed three or four and gotten to the car with them before anycould have caught us. From there, would depend on how good police communications were then. Our car was a Volvo with Swedish plates - pretty common around the streets of Copenhagen. I admired the fact that those guys weren’t stupid and that meant that Copenhagen was a pretty safe town, at least in 1972.

Bet they don’t leave their weapons outside of the guard house like that anymore, even in broad daylight (which it was - mid-afternoon or morning, I forget, when we saw them.

Sorry, John, for confusion, Danish M1 topic had nothing to do with the box or calibre, I just never knew the proper Danish name of the gun, but my M1 does have Royal Crown proof marks.

I lived in Denmark in the late 60’s. At that time they still had tons of new in the cases German ammo as well as guns and ammo dropped by the Allies to partizans. I was offered 500 cases of German 7.9x57 at $10 per case by one blackmarketeer. I didn’t buy those but did buy a variety of new condition in grease Husqvarna SMGs and other items for very little money. They had plenty. INTERARMCO bought a lot of this and as John Moss said there was a great deal of the Danish reloaded 7.9s to be had which also came in mostly through INTERARMCO. The box pictured sold in the 60s often for $1.00 in mint condition.

That ch headstamp in brass case is really rare as virtually all are steel.

The Danes have a folk legend which says that Danes are so honest that a fellow dropped his wallet in a town on a busy street and came back a year later to find it in the same spot with all money inside AND INTEREST AS WELL !

While the Danes have much to be proud of , in general , for their behaviour during WW2 German occupation I did not find that particular legend to be 100% accurate.

Recently the Danish Prime Minister was caught telling lies and I liked his defense. " I am a politician and we do that for a living ". THAT IS HONESTY !

I’d be interested in seeing examples of German occupation period cartridges converted into dummies by the Danes. It’s often difficult to separate dummies from blanks, especially if the case is unfluted. I have a number of these unidentified cases and it would be good to know their origins.

Happy collecting, Peter

Enfield - my Forum pardner will be posting pictures of the brass and steel-case Danish 7.9 x 57 dummies rounds, including the headstamps of the four steel-cased ones I have. I have about twenty of so of the brass-cased ones, which seem to usually have British headstamps. Joe will post the pictures when he has time.

[quote=“sksvlad”]Bitte sch

The first four from left to right are Danish 7.92 x 57 dummy rounds made from German steel cases. I showed all four that I have, since I have so few. They are not nearly as common as the brass case one shown at the right, which is from a British case. For some reason, most of the brass-case dummies are on British cases and are not found with the variety of headstamps that the blanks are encountered with.

Well, I didn’t do so good with these headstamps, considering I made five separate scans. In this case, the cartridge on the left is brass-case with the British headstamp K44 BIIZ. It has the “O” over stamp. The brass-case blanks have the over stamp, whereas the steel cased ones do not. I don’t know why. Perhaps they didn’t want to use there stamp on what theyhought was harder material. Just a guess. I haven’t a clue as to the real reason. I am sure that these steel-case dummies can be found with most any wartime German headstamp. Two of these are “dom” with one “eej” and one “hlc.”

Collection of John Moss

John
I was just about to ask you if you know why the brass cased dummies with the 3 case cannelures also have the reload

Phil - please don’t accept my postulation on why the steel cases don’t have the Danish “O” reload mark as the result of scholarly research or anything other than the outright wild guess it is. I simply couldn’t think of any other reason why they would mark one and not the other, when the cartridges in their dummy form are contemporary to each other.

Thanks for posting your pictures. It doesn’t hurt a thing to show that they are pretty standard, and your photography is considerably better than mine. I did that headstamp photo five times, and it still came out crappy! I have reall ups and downs with headstamps on my scanner. Sometimes they are really good, and other times they are the pits.

John, just ste the highest possibe resolution, that should produce proper head stamp images.

EOD - it isn’t the resolution. They are scanned at 300 and that is plenty sufficient to produce a sharp as a tack picture. I believe it has to do with two factors. Firstly, due to space restrictions, my computer scanner is right below a big window in my office. While I shade the picture of cartridges with a white card that covers the whole scanner, with the cartridges upright this card is held very high. I think the proof to myself that this is one factor is that pistol caliber headstamps always come out way better for me than do rifle. Secondly, I am Technologically an idiot and that does not help me do the best work in photo shop. When I get my new lighting setup for pictures for my book, If it works out good I will start doing all my pictures with my Nikon.

If the British-made 7.9 m/m cases found use in Denmark exclusively (or nearly so) in dummies the reason may lie in the primer pocket dimensions of the brass. At one time I had a little project to reload a mixed bag of 7.9 m/m Berdan empties to see how they held up and noticed that the wartime Kynoch-made cases generally had loose pockets. They weren’t so loose as to be a hazard, I felt, but they were for certain looser than the German, Czech, and Yugoslav cases I had. JG

I don’t think so. The reason is more simple. The danes just made dummies of fired cases cause it was cheaper than to produce extra new ones. You can see that they take all available cases: from sharp rounds even as from blanks, from imported ammo even as from danish made … and not only 7,9 mm: they did it for all their calibers in service.

A good example of their thriftiness are their lots of 7,62x51 blanks and dummies made of 7,62x63 cases - with all there available headstamps and of all possible origins

The simple solution is: the danes made dummies of cases from sharp rounds and from reloaded blanks. These blanks have the “O” reloading mark, the others not. Thats all.
(See also my post above).

Defender - Thanks! Never even thought of the fact that the brass-cased dummies might have been made from fired blank cases that had already been reloaded and had the “O” reload mark! Sometimes the simple answer is the best! Now it appears very obvious!

I have never seen a steel-case blank, nor a steel case dummy with the “O” mark from having been a blank. Do you know if they ever loaded steel cases as blanks in Denmark?