Danish 9mm Para

Could somebody please explain me why Denmark introduced a 9mm Para round in 1941.

Denmark was occupied by the Germans in 1940.
It is not clear to me that the Germans allowed the Danish to introduce a M41 cartridge.

There are existing boxes (pjj) from 1944 and 1945 (German 50 round boxes)
From the same years, also boxes are known with only Danish text.

Thanks in advance

Denmark was not occupied to 100% as most others. They had an agreement with Germany and were allowed to have their own govt. acting and a police too. I am not sure about the armed forces but Denmark was producing it’s small arms ammo and even grenades till 1943 merely independent. After some guerilla incidents I think the Germans switched over to the usual 100% occupation.
Our Denmark experts here certainly can shed more light on all this.

The question dutch has asked here has occurred to me too. I can imagine producing 9 m/m Bergmann Bayard in 1941, but why 9 m/m Parabellum? Jack

The occupation was not complete as the german authorities had a willing and able partner in their danish counterparts. It is not well known outside the country but the foodstuffs alone delivered from Denmark was 10-15% of the needs of germany at the time. We collaborated big time.
Except for a tiny fraction of citizens who would not accept the german exploitation and took action by blowing up railway tracks etc. That activity accelerated in the summer of 43 when the german advances were stopped on several fronts.
Hitler recalled Dr Best, and gave him an ultimatum to bring to the danish government which they promptly rejected and the occupation went to 100% on august 29th.
All military forces were disbanded, quite a few officers went into the resistance.

9mm was used here for the ‘Suomi’ M/41 SMG and the planned buy of FN Hi-powers. The Brownings only came after the war (M/46) but newer swedish made (at Husquarna) suomis were acquired clandestinely 1943-44.
The germans also took over the small arms and ammo of the danish army and navy. Most of it they removed to an unknown place. The arsenal in Copenhagen were of course ordered to make 9mm for the occupiers, 44 pjj and 45 pjj.
Soren

Soren: Thanks for the response. I more or less understood that the German occupation of Denmark was less severe than in, say, Poland but still didn’t understand why the 9 m/m Luger ammunition was produced for the Danish armed forces. Jack

Buying 9x19 on the open market was a bit difficult to do in 1941, but making 9mm was something they had done since 1911, just in a longer case. If you look at the hs of a 1942 M.1910 9x23 and a 1942 M/41 9x19, they are almost exactly the same.
-Soren

[quote=“mausernut”]The germans also took over the small arms and ammo of the danish army and navy. Most of it they removed to an unknown place. The arsenal in Copenhagen were of course ordered to make 9mm for the occupiers, 44 pjj and 45 pjj.
Soren[/quote]

That explains why the Danish made the M41 for the Germans.

But why did they still made these rounds with a pure Danish label

Rgds
Dutch

For their own Police I guess.

No, the police (those that got caught, about 1960) sat in Neuengamme since 19 september 1944. (Aktion Möwe) After 6 october they were in Buchenwald.

Very few boxes with patroneringsdato 1944-45 and danish text exist. Perhaps they ran out of labels in german.(?)

Soren

Soren,

A friend sends me a pic. of a 1944 load.

Rgds