Danish 9mm Training blank M65

I have what appears to be a fired 9mm Luger all-brass blank. It is stamped “AMA (+) 83)” Only the “case” ends 3mm above where a normal 9mm blank would, with the now blown open crimp forming a “bullet”. I have heard that there were some modified 9mm Madsen SMGs designed to take only these special training rounds, as a live round would slip too far into the chamber, out of reach of the firing pin. Is this correct?

What you heard is absolutely correct. The blank barrel has a deeper chamber than that for a ball round. Since the bore is constricted to increase gas blowback pressure to operate the gun in full-auto mode, firing a ball round would be catastrophic. This way, if one forgets to change barrels and attempts to fire ball rounds, they are pushed ahead of the bolt and go too far into the chamber for the firing pin to make impact.

Your cartridge was made by Ammunitionsarsenalet, in Denmark.

there is argument as to how to classify these extended-case blanks with shoulder higher than 19mm. My opinion that since it is meant for a 9mm Para weapon, the correct classification is as a 9mm Para cartridge. Just MHO.

Thanks. I put it down in my records as 9mm Para. But I suppose it could be referred to as “9 x 21 Danish Training Blank” or something similar if one wished to give it another name.

Hammer - great photos of the boxes. I have seen, and have in my collection, most of those types, but have never seen a box for the blanks in buff color (tan)? Is that a common thing, to put blanks in buff-colored boxes in Demark? Every one I have seen of that style of box, previous to the more modern HMAK boxes, were red for blanks, buff for ball rounds. Interesting.

BTT

Germany had something similar before WWII. Not being adopted by the army.

Yes, there is a German blank with elongated “case”. I put “case” in quotes, as I am referring to that part of the case that ends with a rounded shoulder that is much like a crimp, but then goes on farther with a mock bullet of reduced diameter that is, actually, part of the cartridge case. This shoulder comes at approximately 23mm. Some sources have simply said that this is a blank for 9mm Para machine pistols utilizing the principles discussed earlier in this thread; that is, a special barrel with deeper chamber and reduced diameter bore, to increase gas pressures so the weapon will perform in its full-auto mode, and yet be safe from the accidental discharge of a ball cartridge.

The problem with stating absolutely that is is for 9mm Para-caliber guns is that the box label only states that it is a Platzpatrone (blank) for the M.P. Schmeisser Mod. 28II. It also carries a warning that it is only for use with the special blank barrel (Platzpatonenlauf). It does NOT show a caliber. While I am inclined to believe that the blank is for 9mm Para weapons, the use of a special blank barrel would allow this cartridge to be used in guns of caliber 9 x 23mm, and 7.65mm Parabellum. As far as I can tell, the MP18 was made in both those calibers as well as 9mm Para, and even a few were made in .45 caliber, although the bot face of the latter would not be proper for this blank. The overall length is slightly long for a lot of 9mm magazines, but all we had at hand to try it in in that caliber was my own FN-Browning HP Mark III, and a Mauser-made (1941) P-08 “Luger” magazine. It would not fit properly in either of those magazines. That does NOT mean it would not fit a 9mm Para-caliber magazine for an MP 28. I simply had no way to test whther it would or not, not having such a magazine or the internal dimensions for one.

For me, the main argument against it being for a 9 x 23mm or 7.65mm Para caliber weapon is that the label is in German (not a foreign language contract box, although it could work for Austria and Switzerland as well, of course) from C.G. Haenel Waffenfabrik Suhl, Th