Dating Cartridge Boxes- Peters

Thanks to Randy Hedeen, we now have a great guide to identify when cartridge boxes from Peters were manufactured!

This sample provides a rough idea of when a box was made, and is not intended to be a comprehensive list of every variation made.

You can check it out from the menu on the main IAA page (http://CartridgeCollectors.org) or go straight to http://cartridgecollectors.org/dates/peters.htm

Can someone provide similar info for some of the other major makers? PM me for an address to send some .jpg images and some text and I will convert it into web format for you.

Again, a BIG thank you to Randy for his sharing this info!

Peters .300 Savage box. Trouble finding correct date/price

John…Because I collect all boxes in .30-40 Krag, I can also provide info for other makers, Frankford, Winchester, UMC, Remington, USCCo, Western, etc., unless you think everyone will get tired of the Ole Krag!!!..Randy

The only drawback to using .30-40 Krag boxes is that it won’t include the High Velocity loads like the Remington Express with the Train or in the case of Peters, the Power-Lokt style box of the late 60’s and 70’s, etc. But, until someone volunteers to do what you are doing with something like .30-06, which would cover both the low and high velocity loads, it certainly will help a bunch to date most styles of boxes.

Actually, I have both Remington Blue and Green train boxes in .30-40 Krag…and also the Yellow Hi-Speed…

I would be delighted if Randy has time and energy to do a similar guide for Remington boxes, but strtictly at his convenience.

It would be nice if someone did one eventually for Winchester. (No, not duplicating Dan Shuey’s wonderful all inclusive study) just a simple 10-12 box sample for beginners/non collectors to get an idea of when grandpa’s half filled box of ammo was made.

Then maybe add a column to the basic dating pages showing examples of rimfire boxes of the same period to show how the same general guidelines apply to most/all of the company’s ammo production.

Now, can we get someone to dig into the IAA Journal Index and find all the great Histories of Cartridge making companies? And put them in a table with columns called: (a) Company Name; (b) Location(s); © dates of operation; and (d) IAA Journal source for further info?

Thanks again to Randy for his work on the box dating project.

John–I like the idea in general of adding the .22 boxes, but why stop there. Why not include the pistol and revolver boxes as well. One problem of adding the .22 boxes is that you really need 3 boxes for each time frame. The Standard Velocity, High Velocity and Match boxes, not even going into the fine details that we box collectors love, are all quite different in look even during the same time frame

For the Company listing, some body should hit up George Kass for this. Since he is my former partner and I only live 5 miles from him, I guess I could volinteer to approach him.

Ron- Someone needs to set a trap to snare a .22 box collector to take that part on. Remember, this is NOT a project to list every variation ever made, just give some representative examples to help newbies (and folks from other specialties) get an idea when stuff was made.

I think that George Kass should be kept busy cranking out MORE company histories. Someone else can use the digital index and complie the listing. (Sorta like letting the brain surgeon do his job and the billing clerk take care of his job- both important, but different skills…) Anyone with a computer can do the listing,and the index is available on the website.

John–I was mot suggesting a listing of all the variations. You will note that I said “not even going into the fine details that we box collectors love”. But the .22 boxes in Standard, High, and Match loading are ofter quite different from each other and the rifle boxes. Often different enough that you would not recognize that they are from the same era. The same can be said for Pistol and Revolver.