Daws Patent shotshells

A few years ago I asked a question about these 16ga shells on an older version of this forum (the topic does not even show up in the archive section). I didnt get much info at the time so thought now could be a good time to repost.

Quite a few years ago now I found a small number of these shells and a couple of other loose shells in a wooden box marked ‘16’ hidden away in a shed in rural Australia. I think that the wooden box matches these cartridges but it is not marked in any other way and is missing its lid.
I know who George Daw was and how he fits into the interesting story of the Centrefire cartridge but have not found much information on the cartridges themselves.
I think these might date from around 1862 as that is the time when Daw was involved in the lawsuit with Eley that Eley subsequently won. I guess that after that time Daw would no longer have been marking cartridges with his named patent. Is my thinking correct?
Did Daw manufacture these shells himself or were they made by another firm for him?
And down to the pointy end of the questions we get to rarity and value - any comments or ideas?

[quote=“alpinehunter”]
I think these might date from around 1862 as that is the time when Daw was involved in the lawsuit with Eley that Eley subsequently won. I guess that after that time Daw would no longer have been marking cartridges with his named patent. Is my thinking correct?
Did Daw manufacture these shells himself or were they made by another firm for him?
And down to the pointy end of the questions we get to rarity and value - any comments or ideas?[/quote]

Hello!

Hard question because I don’t have very much info on old British shotshells.
All my British catalogues are dated from after 1880.
And all my factory drawings showing Eley and Kynoch ctges are also dated from after 1878.

Depending on the fact nobody seems to have any pre 1900 shostshell factory drawing coming from Eley or Kynoch factories, your question coud stay without answer for a long time .

What I [color=#FF0000]think[/color] is this shotshell [color=#FF0000]could[/color] be manufactured by Kynoch from around 1865 till 1882.
(With this particular hstp at the beginning and with Kynoch hstp after)
But his just an assumption !

If you give me the exact dimensions (rim diameter, rim thickness, base diameter and so on) I can perhaps give you more info.

About value, I will say it is like any other pre 1880 shotshell.

• More valuable than any Eley, Kynoch (because no proof it has been manufactured by Kynoch), SFM, Utendoerffer, aso shotshell.
  • As good as a Gevelot, a Tardy or a Barthe shotshell.
  • Less than a Chaudun shotshell (which is a lot older) even if we say it could have been manufactured in 1865.

JP
PS : I don’t have this shell in my collection, therefore if you want t trade one I will be happy

A VERY interesting shell, and topic, for American collectors because these are possibly so early! In the 1860’s we were still pouring shot and powder down the barrel!