Deconstructing the Display 16" Naval Powder Bags

Well, there are no tags for “Navy”, }Powder Bags", or “16 Inch guns”, and “canon” just does not sound right since it ain’t on wheels… so here goes.

This is the display Powder Bag I picked up for ozziammo.
The powder bag is too heavy and too large to ship to The Land Down Under, with anything close to affordable, so I deconstructed it so it would fit into a 3"x12.5"x14" box, weighing about 2.75 pounds. I included two of the cardboard ends so it will be easier to re-fill the inside and maintain the shape. I suspect that foam packing ‘peanuts’ in a plastic bag will do nicely.

The “innards” weighed 3.5 pounds, and were quite smartly designed to hold the shape of the powder bag. It is so nicely designed that it took me a bit over an hour, being careful not to damage the powder bag, to get the entire thing apart.

There is a plasticy-fabric layer about 1/8" thick wrapped around the inside of the bag, several chunks of styrofoam glued to the inside of it, another plasticy-fabric layer inside that, and the interveining space filled with expanding foam insulation.

The tops and bottoms of this spacer has cardboard sheets to forn the ends and keep the foam from ‘escaping’ while it cures.

Pretty smart, and also the reason that my friendly supplier will not take it apart, or ship it out of the continental U.S.A.

The pictures should be pretty much in order, please enjoy.

This is the stitching that secured the “primer” end to the powder bag.

The fabric tabs are sewn to the outer layer of plasticy-fabric, folded over and glued to the cardboard.

4 Likes

I have also seen the bags fitted over 5 gallon plastic pails. I once had a number of the bags and got a bunch of the corrugated packing material that comes as 48" wide rolls, and cut strips to the appropriate height of the bag, and rolled the strip up until it was the right diameter to fill the bag. Either method produces a bag that looks good and is light weight.

The original filling was with the loose powder grains, each about 1" diameter and 2" long, neatly stacked, but the total weight for a single full bag was about 100 pounds. The full charge was six bags.

2 Likes

Are these bags still available anywhere

Yup, I have a friend who has a few, $100 each plus tax, as in the first three images.
If you want it deconstructed, (as I did for ozzieammo), I am going to have to charge something for that service. It iwas an interesting leaning experience, but definitely not fun.
I am not sure how muvh shipping on the “loaded” powder bag would be, it would require a LARGE box.
If you want the big can that holds 3 or 4 powder bags, I think it is $400, but you need to come to Virginia, or pay a shiiping company, to pick it up.

Hmmm.
It’s got me thinking…
I should plan another road trip for next summer. :slight_smile:
I haven’t been to VA yet, that’s a good reason to go!

1 Like

O.K., some of you might find this… interesting… I shipped the package to ozzieammo on 16 August, from northern Virginia, Priority Mail, which is supposed to be FAST delivery, “guaranteed” in less then a week.

The package arrive inn Kingsford Smith, Sydney, Australia, at 9:07 am local time, en route to be delivered, supposedly.

For your entertainment and edification, here is the actual trail it has followed… but you need to start at the bottom to see where it went.
Merrifield is a few miles from my house, after it goes to Hyattsville, Maryland, it seems as if a blind mute loaded it onto various random transports, just for the fun of it!

August 30, 2021, 9:07 am Departed SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA
Your item departed from an intermediate transfer airport in KINGSFORD SMITH, SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA on August 30, 2021 at 9:07 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination.

August 28, 2021, 5:47 pm Departed
TOKYO, JAPAN

August 25, 2021, 7:00 pm Departed
TOKYO, JAPAN

August 16, 2021, 1:15 pm Departed
NEW YORK, UNITED STATES

August 16, 2021, 5:45 am Arrived
NEW YORK, UNITED STATES

August 15, 2021, 11:15 am Departed USPS Regional Facility
JAMAICA NY INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER

August 15, 2021, 11:15 am Processed Through Regional Facility

August 15, 2021, 11:15 am Arrived at Regional Facility

August 15, 2021, 10:51 am Processed Through Regional Facility

August 15, 2021, 10:51 am Arrived at Regional Facility

August 14, 2021, 5:42 pm Arrived at USPS Regional Facility

August 14, 2021, 10:00 am Departed USPS Facility
HYATTSVILLE, MD 20785

August 14, 2021, 2:12 am Arrived at USPS Facility
HYATTSVILLE, MD 20785

August 14, 2021, 1:10 am Departed USPS Regional Facility
MERRIFIELD VA DISTRIBUTION CENTER

August 13, 2021, 9:44 pm Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
MERRIFIELD VA DISTRIBUTION CENTER

August 13, 2021, 5:58 pm USPS in possession of item
MERRIFIELD, VA 22116

Looks pretty standard for packages shipped from the US to Australia. The last package I received had the same number of entries just for the international distribution centre in Chicago. The logistics is really quite interesting and I am surprised that things don’t get lost more often.

1 Like