Dellazoppa

A gunsmith called : Dellazoppa

Is he Argentinan or from another South american country ?

thanks
JP

Pin fire ID help

Argentinian.

thank you very much
jp

they have a funny trade mark !

Would that be an armadillo??

Here in Argentina we have seven different specimens of the Dasypodidae family (Armadillos) as follows:
Tatú piche = Chacoan naked tailed armadillo
Piche LLoron = Screaming armadillo
Peludo = Hairy armadillo
Mulita pampeana = Southern long nosed or sevan banded armadillo
Tatú carreta = Giant armadillo
Mataco = Three banded armadillo
Piche patagonico = Pichi armadillo
Unfortunatelly many of them are listed in CITES as endagered species.

Hello JP,

Cartridges with “Mulita” trademark were later produced by Scorzato Hnos. for Dellazoppa S.A.C., Buenos Aires. Headstamp used was a raised “M”.

Here is a picture of a 9 mm Flobert loaded with round ball but 6 mm cartridges also exist.

Thanks
Do you know these two gunsmiths in Buenos Aires :
M.Mieres & Cie
derraiz & Cie

Thanks
JP

I have seen belgian shotguns marked “M. MIERES Y CIA” but no cartridges. This firm also patented a safe box in c. 1907.

Can you share some scans showing trademarks used by these firms?

About “derraiz” the first letters are missing before.

JP, thank you very much!

The one on the left was ordered by Herraiz & Cie but I’ve never seen one of these shotshells.

[quote=“Fede”]JP, thank you very much!

The one on the left was ordered by Herraiz & Cie but I’ve never seen one of these shotshells.[/quote]

Yes, it is was I thought by I lost the file
tahnks
jp

Argentinian, of Italian origin. Probably Immigrant or First generation.

“Della Zoppa” Lit. “Of the Lame Woman”…an indication of regional origin, most probably of the southern part of Italy, where family names of those of uncertain origin were derived from a characteristic of their parents. The (Family) name could be centuries old.

Examples “Depretis” ( of the priest); “Occhipinti” ( of the painted (blue)eyes-- Norman origin); “Nobile” (of noble birth); “Dallachiesa” ( of or from the Church–a foundling/child of a religious); The list is seemingly endless.

Many of the Early Gunsmiths and Dealers in Argentina actually did their apprenticeships in Europe, and since the Italians formed a large part of the Migrant population of Argentina, an Italian-origin Gunsmith in Buenos Aires would not be a strange occurrence (even today).

Any further details of the Dellazoppa company or firm???( establishment, history, products sold, cessation of business? etc)

Regards,
Doc AV

Doc AV,

This general hardware store was established in Buenos Ayres in 1871 by brothers Juan and Francisco Dellazoppa under the name of “Dellazoppa Frères” (Dellazoppa Brothers)

In 1880 Francisco moved to Paris and established “Dellazoppa & Cía” (Dellazoppa y Compañía) or “Dellazoppa & Cie”. Adress was 25 Rue de Trévise.

In 1908 a new subsidiary named “S.A. Compagnie Dellazoppa Ltd.” was established in Bruxelles, Belgium.

By 1909 the argentinian firm was called “Compañía Dellazoppa Lda.” and it was located at 718 Alsina Street, Buenos Aires.

By 1913 adress in Argentina was 167 Chacabuco Street. Company’s name was referred both as “Compañía Dellazoppa Lda.” and “Dellazoppa & Co.”.

In 1921 a corporation named “Dellazoppa S.A.C.” (Sociedad Anónima Comercial) was created at 175 Chacabuco Street, Buenos Aires. During this era a trademark was registered as “D F B” (inside coat of arms), which means “Dellazoppa Frères Buenos Aires”. A new line of metallic ammunition was made for this firm by Gustav Genschow & Cie (before 1929). All these cartridges were headstamped with caliber situated at 12 and D F B at three positions (9,6 & 3). Production included:

.32 S&W
.32 S&W Long
.38 S&W
.38 S&W Special
.44 S&W Russian
.44 Winchester Center Fire (.44-40)

By 1939-40 company name changed to “Dellazoppa S.A.”.

I believe that this firm ceased to exist in 1966 (same adress as 1921).

Including those Flobert cartridges already mentioned there are also 9 mm Lefaucheux rounds which probably dates from their first era.

[quote=“Fede”]Doc AV,

This general hardware store was established in Buenos Ayres in 1871 by brothers Juan and Francisco Dellazoppa under the name of “Dellazoppa Frères” (Dellazoppa Brothers)

In 1880 Francisco moved to Paris and established “Dellazoppa & Cía” (Dellazoppa y Compañía).

In 1908 a new subsidiary was established in Belgium as “S.A. Compagnie Dellazoppa Ltd.”
[color=#FF0000]Are you sure of that ???
SA Company Dellazoppa Limited was founded in 1909, but in the North of France (not in Belgium)[/color]
In 1921 an argentine corporation named “Dellazoppa S.A.C.” (Sociedad Anónima Comercial) was created at 175 Chacabuco Street, Buenos Aires. During this era a trademark was registered as “D F B” (inside coat of arms), which means “Dellazoppa Frères Buenos Aires”. A new line of metallic ammunition was made for this firm by Gustav Genschow & Cie (before 1929). All these cartridges were headstamped with caliber situated at 12 and D F B at three positions (9,6 & 3). Production included:

.32 S&W
.32 S&W Long
.38 S&W
.38 S&W Special
.44 S&W Russian
.44 Winchester Center Fire (.44-40)

[color=#FF0000]Did they make shotshells with this headstamp ?[/color]

I believe that this firm ceased to exist in 1966 (same adress as 1921).

Including those Flobert cartridges already mentioned there are also 9 mm Lefaucheux rounds which probably dates from their first era.[/quote]

JP, I’m sure. That information was translated from a very brief article published by this company in 1946 and in fact it was located in Bruxelles. Maybe their french subsidiary was just ommited in that source.

I have no information or have seen any DFB headstamped shotshells but everything is possible. I hope so.

[quote=“Fede”]JP, I’m sure. That information was translated from a very brief article published by this company in 1946 and in fact it was located in Bruxelles. Maybe their french subsidiary was just ommited in that source.
quote]

It could be
My source is the official “Registre du Commerce” (Business Register)
Furthermore Roubaix is just at the boarder with Belgium
JP

JP,

I’ve found that trademark “La Mulita” was registered in 1895 by Companie Dellazoppa Ltd., Bruxelles, Belgium. This means that company’s article is wrong and they must be referring to the french subsidiary you mention.