Deteriorated Cartridge Boxes

A collector friend forwarded the following photographs of boxes that have deteriorated; ‘slightly,’ with the passage of time.
Hope that these photographs might be of interest, for posterity………and just in case anyone is compiling a photographic database of cartridge boxes.

The last photograph is a ‘largish’ shell case.
Sam3

1 Like

Sam, outstanding 18pdr dummy case you got there! Thanks for sharing!

Sam,
Some box deterioration is due to the use of acidic paper which will often decay overtime and just fall apart. I am told that most paper from the middle of the 20th century back is at least slightly acid. There is a spray on chemical that can be bought at Library supply stores that will prevent this deterioration. I have bought it in the past and used it on some boxes that were falling apart with some success. Over the past decade I seem to be having less of a problem, but probably because my collection, including boxes is stored in air conditioned areas.It has been a number of years since I have bought a can of this so can’t give you any hints.

Today there may be much better alternatives available. You may want to check with a local liberary, particularly a university library or one that maintains old paper items that must be protected.

Cheers,
Lew

1 Like