Firstly, I would like to thank Brian for sharing (discovering) the Spanish copy of the Lorenz Export Catalog - it is the best quality of all the ones I have seen - very tidy !
Thanks for your response Fede - so the two copies you have which include Page 26a and 26b are exactly the same except for the prices ? The Spanish one has no prices at all which I assume is the same as one of yours. Does the other have printed prices or handwritten prices or a combination of both ???
Ok, so far there appear to be the following Lorenz catalogs:
• Lorenz Export Catalog with only page 26 including case #297 (but not 292,293,294,295,296) c1883 (with printed prices)
• Lorenz Export Catalog with Page 26a and Page 26b case #292 up to case #304) c1884/85 (with & without prices) #297 is included twice
• Lorenz Export Catalog with Page 26a, 26b, 26c c1885 (shows case #305 up to case #315) (with printed and handwritten prices) . This copy I got from Manfred Beutter over 20 years ago.
• LorenzCatalog No 1 (up to case #318) c1885/1886
JP, regarding case #297 being in the first copy of the Export catalog. Your speculation is possible but there are other possible alternatives:
- Case 292-.297 were all assigned by the time of the catalog but only 297 had been produced and so was included.
- Case 292-.297 were all assigned by the time of the catalog but only 297 had been drawn and so was included.
- Cases 292-296 were all assigned to cartridges that were never produced and then the numbers later reused after 297 had been used.
- Case 297 was (accidently?) assigned out of chronological order (I know you won’t like this JP but everyone makes mistakes - eg. the later Export Catalogs show case 297 twice !?!?)
- etc, etc
The point I am making is that; although some of these possibilities are more likely than others, we can’t be sure which of these is true.You once stated in a post that we needed to have “100% sure proof.” but you are now doing what all of us have done wrt the Lorenz/DM-K/DWM catalogs/case numbers and that is to speculate. Now speculation is fine - I do it often but will state that it is speculation ! Please don’t criticise others for speculating when you are now doing it yourself !
We will never know the truth for sure but with these multiple versions of the Export catalog we start to answer some questions, however new questions arise to replace them. This “hobby” can be most frustrating at times !