Devisme

Every body knows the explosive bullets made by the french gunsmith Devisme.
The are many variations (brass tube, steel tube and so on)
Most of them were designed for big game hunting (elephants, tigers aso) rifles and the diameter is around 18 mm.

Here for exemple is a specimen
tube diameter 17.9
lead portion diameter 19.4
total length : 70 mm

Devisme made also guns for whales hunting with the same kind of explosive bullets.
They are a lot scarcer.

tube diameter 30 mm
total length: 110 mm

i96.photobucket.com/albums/l190/ … 1b7313.jpg[/img][/url]

He designed also harpoon guns for whales;
The bullets not only have a hook for the line but are also designed to explose !
Very scarce.
The gun has a groove in the barrel because of the hook

Here are some pictures of whales projectiles and the whale harpoon gun
(The explosive bullet is not for this gun but for a whale gun)

HI JeanPierre,

Great information, thanks for sharing it.

I had heard of them before but never seen one.

regards rené

JeanPierre,

Fascinating!

A couple of questions:

I assume the lead sheath/driving band of the whale gun explosive projectile was pre-grooved during manufacturing and the projectile was indexed with the rifling upon loading in the gun (like a recoilless rifle projectile), is this true?

What kind of fuze/ exploder mechanism caused the projectile to explode upon impact?

Very interesting items, thank you for posting them.

Brian

Jeanpierre,
Next time write “tout le monde mais Vlad”. I never even heard about Devisme. Merci boncoup for this post and pictures. When was Devisme active, which years?

Is the first one with 17.9mm a 12GA ?

[quote=“bdgreen”]JeanPierre,

I assume the lead sheath/driving band of the whale gun explosive projectile was pre-grooved during manufacturing and the projectile was indexed with the rifling upon loading in the gun (like a recoilless rifle projectile), is this true?

[color=#0000FF]yes[/color]
What kind of fuze/ exploder mechanism caused the projectile to explode upon impact?

[color=#0000FF]Here are more views of the explosive bullet
On one picture you can see the tit wher you must put a percussion primer[/color]

Brian[/quote]

[color=#0000FF]About the line throwing ctge, it is the same[/color]

Hello Alex,
you can say that, but it is not for a smooth barrel
jp

[quote=“sksvlad”]Jeanpierre,
Next time write “tout le monde mais Vlad”. I never even heard about Devisme. Merci boncoup for this post and pictures. When was Devisme active, which years?[/quote]

lol!

explosive bullet 1857
line throwing ctge with explosive bullet 1870 (WHET IS THE ENGLISH NAME FOR SUCH A BULLET??)
jp

Hello Alex,
jp[/quote]

Jeanpierre, was that for a muzzle loading gun then? Was it a specially developed weapon?

Hello Alex,
jp[/quote]

Jeanpierre, was that for a muzzle loading gun then? Was it a specially developed weapon?[/quote]

yes it was for a special design muzzle loading gun
the gun must be rifled inside
The lead indents go inside the rifling
jp

here are pictures of the whale gun (smooth barrel)

here are views of the barrel and of a projectile in the barrel where we can see the hook for the line

Ok, that clarifies it. No images available of that rifled gun?

Alex, here is a picture of the Devisme rifle that fires the first explosive projectile.

Fede, thanks a lot!
So was that rifle used only with the depicted explosive projectile or did “normal” projectiles exist as well? If so how did they look like?

The area near the muzzle appears to have a bayonet mount (correct me if I am wrong). So is this a military weapon?

The whale gun with the skeleton stock appears to be the type made by C.C. Brand and very popular with the whaling industry.

Here is a page with some more on the Brand guns, and other whaling or harpoon guns and their ammunition:
http://www.cannonsuperstore.com/whaling_harpoon.htm

[quote=“JohnS”]The whale gun with the skeleton stock appears to be the type made by C.C. Brand and very popular with the whaling industry.

Here is a page with some more on the Brand guns, and other whaling or harpoon guns and their ammunition:
http://www.cannonsuperstore.com/whaling_harpoon.htm[/quote]

you are right, we think it is a Brand riffle because it looks like very close.
But the modification (groove in the barrel) and projectiles are Devisme.

JP

[quote]Fede, thanks a lot!
So was that rifle used only with the depicted explosive projectile or did “normal” projectiles exist as well? If so how did they look like?

The area near the muzzle appears to have a bayonet mount (correct me if I am wrong). So is this a military weapon?[/quote]

Alex, this rifle was specially made or modified for the explosive shell because it has a ramrod that fits the nose of the projectile. In any case, it was not unusual for sporting rifles and shotguns of this era to have bayonet mounts.

[quote]line throwing ctge with explosive bullet 1870 (WHET IS THE ENGLISH NAME FOR SUCH A BULLET??)
jp[/quote]

This bullet must have been invented on an earlier date because it was already described by Devisme in 1867. It is also described and illustrated in a French publication from 1869 as an American harpoon bullet, which it is likely a mistake confusing its origins with those of the manufacturer of the gun.

Fede, thank you again for the clarification!

Trials were made by Devisme in 1867, you are right.
And even in 1865.
But I don’t know if they were exactly the bullets shown.
(Many kinds exist, either only explosive, either explosive with poison)

The first document with pictures corresponding exactly to the bullets shown is dated from 1870, it is because of that I said 1870.
jp