Diabolo airgun pellets, any info on its history?

Im working on some articles about airguns.
Im looking for information about the origin of diabolo (waisted) airgun pelletds.
Thanks
Martin

This subject has been discussed on some of the airgun collecting forums previously but without any positive answers.

Birmingham Metal & Munitions Company purchased pellet making machinery in 1911 to make the ‘Adder’ pellet, however these pellets were already in the BSA catalogue in 1909 (see rifleman.org.uk/Images/BSA%2 … alogue.pdf) and I have been told by a collector here in the UK that they were available at least as early as 1905/1906.

Cox & Sons ‘famous air rifle pellets’ ‘best in 1902’ is the earliest advertisement that I have seen. (see here localhistory.scit.wlv.ac.uk/ … t/bt05.htm)

Kynoch purchased pellet making machinery in November 1900, to make the ‘Match’ and ‘Whitton’ pellets that appeared in their 1901 catalogue. (Anyone have a copy of the catalogue?) This is the earliest British made pellet (as opposed to slug) reference that I know off.

Somewhere in the back of my mind I faintly recall reading something back in the 1970’s saying that the waisted pellet was inspired by the childrens diabolo spinning toy in France. (info on the toy is here en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diabolo)

Good luck in your research, I’d love to know a verified origin.

I have a copy of the 1901 Kynoch catalogue but it does not list the “Match” and “Whitton” pellets. It does list the “No.1 and 2” Air Gun pellets at £0.1s.0d per 1000 and the “No.3” at £0.1s.6d per 1000. I cannot tell you what is in the 1902-3 catalogue as the “Sundries” page is missing in my copy!

Regards
TonyE

[quote=“tanegashimatomurata”]Kynoch purchased pellet making machinery in November 1900, to make the ‘Match’ and ‘Whitton’ pellets that appeared in their 1901 catalogue. (Anyone have a copy of the catalogue?) This is the earliest British made pellet (as opposed to slug) reference that I know off.
[/quote][quote=“TonyE”]I have a copy of the 1901 Kynoch catalogue but it does not list the “Match” and “Whitton” pellets. It does list the “No.1 and 2” Air Gun pellets at £0.1s.0d per 1000 and the “No.3” at £0.1s.6d per 1000. I cannot tell you what is in the 1902-3 catalogue as the “Sundries” page is missing in my copy!
Regards
TonyE[/quote]
Thanks Tony, are the pellets illustrated?

I misread the entry in CW Harding’s ‘The Birmingham Cartridge Manufacturers’, the entry reads in full;

“In November 1900 the company obtained a number of air gun pellet making machines and the 1901 catalogue indicates these being made in sizes 1, 2 and 3, later to be defined as .177”, .22" and .25". The pellets made by the company were to be named the ‘Match’ weighing 10 grains and the ‘Witton’ weighing 8 grains. These were subsequently added to with the ‘Lion’, ‘Swift’ and ‘Mitre’ pellets."

Thank you very much!
That helps alot.
Martin