Disk primer

Hi,
I’m looking for some info on the early disc primers. What composition to use? Only black powder? History?, Pictures ?
Thank all

Hi Luger.

When you say ‘disc primers’, what exactly do you mean? Please be more specific. There were many types of early priming systems such as percussion caps, percussive powder, pellets, pills, etc. You have to narrow it down a bit more.

Cheers,
Will

Sorry,
I mean paper disc primer
For example:

obrazek obrazek

Thank

Hi Luger.

The Paper patch primer is Collison Hall’s 1817 primer. He won the Silver medal of 'The Royal Society for the Encouragement of the Arts" for this. This one was particularly important since it required a nipple in place of the flintlock striking pan. This was the first use of a nipple and had a direct bearing on the developement of the percussion cap.

Other patch primers were the 1821 patent 4611, by Westley Richards, 1866 patent 72,052 by Charles Canouil, 1830’s by Charles Moore, 1826 French patent 1,834 by Mahiet, and others. They were usually placed in a nose piece in the hammer which upon firing would strike the nipple and fire the gun.

The early ones such as Hall’s would use a form of Clorate. It wasn’t until 1822/23 that Fredrick Joyce came up with the ‘non-corrosive’ percussion powder which used a fulminate in place of the clorate which was very corrosive.

The late Jim Gooding did a lot of work on the identification of Percussion Primers.

Cheers,
Will.

1 Like

Thank you so much, absolutely perfect info.
Where can I find these patents? Any source?
What do pellets look like? Any picture?

Hi Luger.

Get in touch with me directly. I am in the directory.

Cheers,
Will Adye-White

Hi Will,
Thought i had your e-mail but i di’dnt. E-mailing you on this that has nothing to do with this subject.
Do you think you will be going to the Ohio Show? I plan on being there. I noticed that your looking for Gatling 450 and Gardner 450. I am not familiar with either of those. I was wondering if you had any head stamped doubles for sale? I would like you to bring one of each if possible? Thanks Joe. ps. cannot read any return e-mail until I’m back at my computer. Take Care

Hi Joe.
Sorry. I won’t be going to Ohio this time. The border is closed to us Canadains now and for the forseeable future.

Keep your eye on the Buy and Sell section. Paul will be putting a 450 MK 1 cordite round on fairly soon. I don’t have any duplicate 450 Gatlings or 450 Gardner Gatlings right now and definately don’t have any headstamped ones as duplicates.

Stay well and I hope we will meet again in 2021.

Cheers,
Will.