Disposing of collection

My father in law Roy Taylor (Scotland) was a avid collector of shells and cartridges. Sadly he passed away in April last year.

He has left behind hundreds of items from a lollipop bomb to hundreds of different rifle bullets from divert wars. (I mean how many 105mm shells does one person need)

Anyway we miss him a lot but need to dispose of the collection. Do the members here have a suggestion for auction houses or militaria shops we could approach.

We are in Scotland and there is a lot of stuff here so getting it down south could be an issue.

First of all, my deepest condolences :disappointed:
Talking about you request, it all depends on how much haste you have to get rid of it: if you are not in a hurry or need to free up space, the best thing is to sell the pieces individually directly to other collectors, rather than giving them massively to an auction house or a military shop.
I guess that the Board will allow you to share your collection in Buy/Trade section of this forum, giving to you the opportunity to be contacted by someone interested in.
Again condolences
Francesco.

Extreme condolences to you and your family, as well as his friends. May his memory be a massive blessing.

I have a friend on your side of the pond, that deals in buying large collections that may be able to help? I can ask. Of course pictures would be a giant help. He mostly deals in large bore items like the 105’s ect vs small arms.

If you can post pics here, or send to me via E-Mail, I can forward to him to get his thoughts.

As, Francesco, mentioned above, selling individually would be the best way to bring the most money ing for your family vs selling the entire collection at once depending on your urgency or how much time you want to dedicate to this.

Jason
jabels AT mindspring D0t C0m

Thank you for your replies but on here and direct.

I have to say that after some time looking at this your help and response has been much appreciated.

It is a busy week for us and we will look at the options people have suggested and try to get some resolution soon.

We are very grateful for the assistance and the sympathies

Pat

1 Like

You may also contact the BOCN directly:

http://www.bocn.co.uk/

But be warned. When disposing of collections as heir the confrontation with greedy profiteers is almost unavoidable. Be careful, do not trust one person’s opinion and keep control. The value of collections is often underappreciated and misunderstood and this is what the bad guys count on.

1 Like