Distorted 7,92x57 round

This 7,92x57 appears to possibly have an IZZY headstamp. The round has been severely distorted by possibly some chemical. The powder inside shakes as if it were dry and as normal. Round is non magnetic. Brass looks as if it were wax that had been poured into a mold but pulled out before it completely dried. You can press your finger nail into the brass and leave marks. Casing has horizontal fracture. Could this be some IZZY battlefield pick up that was imported into the USA and acid washed, but left in the tank way to long??

Joe

The damage looks mechanically or physically caused to me. Jack

Perhaps an Afghan souvenir from the Khyber Pass region where they “load ammunition” with primitive methods and materials of dubious quality?

I assume that by Izzy you mean Israeli. If so, what makes it Israeli?

It appears that there is a Hebrew character on the headstamp, next to the "S."
The positioning of the two characters that are legible are consistent with the last headstamp style to appear on 7.9 x 57 ammunition made in Israel from January 1956 thru April 1957. I cannot do Hebrew characters here, so will have to “fake it” with symbols similar. They are not correct (!) but perhaps someone knows the headstamp and how to write it out, or can take a picture of one, for this thread. My attempt at cartoon-like representation is as follows:

SS n ’ h 3-56

The “SS,” surprisingly considering the events in Germany from 1933 to 1945, represent the fact that this ammunition is heavy ball, using the original German designation of schweres Spitzgeschoss.

I don’t know about any Darra connection with this. The base is so mangled I can’t help but to think that it was mangled in production by the fairly modern high-speed machinery used even that early in Israel. Admittedly, I could be totally wrong on that.

Well it appears to me I can see an “S” and an “Tav” Hebrew symbol or letter. Like part of "SS מ.י.ת date at bottom ".

Joe

The metal has been smoothly eaten away. Seems to have been melted away. I think I am going to stick with my assumption of it spending a long time in an acid bath.

joe

Yes, there is also some physical denting around the shoulder, as it is very thin there from being eaten away by something.

Joe

I agree with Joe, it was acid or an erosive mechanical treatment like sand blasting with an extreme fine-grained material.

As Israeli battlefield pickups are known to have acid treatments (and maybe other) this round probably got stuck in one of the machines/containers and had several turns of treatment and after some time came free again and ended up in the sale after a bad QA.

[quote=“JohnMoss”]…but perhaps someone knows the headstamp and how to write it out, or can take a picture of one, for this thread. My attempt at cartoon-like representation is as follows:

SS n ’ h 3-56

[/quote]

The picture of a similar israeli round is on the forum with (partial) translation: https://forum.cartridgecollectors.org/t/why-is-there-a-ss-on-this-israeli-7-9x57-cartridge/11227/9

Looks a bit Israeli. I would subscribe to EOD’s theory of way too much acid washing.