Don't Try This At Home

During my illustrious shooting career I have picked up hundreds of other shooter’s mistakes. I grabbed a handful to photograph and share.

Ray

Ray,

Nothing like ripping hot gas going places it ain’t oughta. Yee Ha!
What’s the big boy on the right?

Dave

Dave

That’s a 348 WIN that somebody tried to blow out to a .45 or .50 or something. It blew out, only not like he was expecting.

Ray

Ray, did you get to see any of these “experements” take place?

Gourd

Gourd

I didn’t witness any of these. Of course, I’ve had a few wrecks myself. You learn to very quickly throw them into the weeds or kick some gravel over them and pretend it didn’t happen.

ray

Ray, In its hayday used to find lots of 5mm Remington Rimfires in the Brass Barrel with blown rims and case heads. Only witnessed one rim blow out and it’s white faced and shaking shooter.

Gourd

I would like to see more of these ‘Oh S—!’ items.

Ray, you may have this one gratis next time you come to New York, headstamp “3B 39”

I’ve got 3 rnds of 7 SAUM fired in a 7 WSM chamber. 2 look ok except for a shorter neck and one has a crack in the shoulder. Lemme see if I can find 'em. I’ll post em if I can. I’ve seen (or got, Can’t remember!) a .308 fired through a .30-06. We had one guy bring back a .308 rifle for a check over as he had put a round of 7mm-08 through it. Then the next week, very embarrassed, bought it in again but with a .243 through it.

one … two …and three attempts to form a 6 x 62R Freres case from 7 x 65 R brass .Not a very good idea

( found into a can full of fired cases at the local shooting range)

They must had lost a lot of cases since I have found about 20 or 30 of these O.S.I. ( Oh Sxxx Items)

This is a 7,62 x 51 Nato fired in a .270 Win rifle. The owner did it customarily: the rifle was a Santa Bárbara Mauser 98 bolt action, the ammo was Santa Bárbara too, and the cartridge chambered without trouble, so what was the problem?

Now that’s quality brass in the cartridges and quality steel in the rifle…

Is it right that a .243 in a .308 won’t cause any actual damage?

One of the most dangerous ones of these has to be a 9mm Para or .380 ACP in a 7.62x25 Chamber (if it would fit).

#5 from the left in my photo is a 308 fired in an 06 rifle. It’s one that is often found. It seems that many shooters don’t know the difference.

A 243 in a 308 rifle will work safely. In fact, it’s one way to fire-form 308 cases. It’s an old shooters trick. Many Benchrest shooters still make their 6PPC brass that way - shoot a 220 Russian in a PPC chamber. As long as you make sure the headspace is safe the only thing that happens is the bullet simply rattles down the bore, but a perfectly formed 6PPC case comes out.

Schneider - the “problem” has to do with headspace and the bullet diameter. But you probably already know that and your question was tongue-in-cheek. Right?

Ray

I have seen something written about the .38 Special cluster bomb release cartridges. Apparently they have a cylindrical solid steel bullet that is the same diameter as the OD of the case. It says obviously never try and fire one of those in a revolver.

Falcon–Having worked the cluster bomb release cartridges when I was in the Air Force, I can say you sure would not want to fire one in your Revolver. First of all, without digging mine out and measuring the overall length, I’m no sure they would fit a .38 Spl. Cylinder, but would defiantly fit in a .357 Mag Cylinder. But, that solid steel slug probably would bulge your barrel and likely not go all the way through (at least in barrels longer than 5 inches) since they are larger than .357 diameter, plus they are a LOT higher pressure.

Looks like some of these all knowing shooters need to do what some of the old 30 caliber shooters used to do. They colored either the case base or neck to distinguish their different loads for each distance. Always kept mine in poly boxes with big labels. When a days shooting reqiures several different loads attention to this is as important as trigger squeeze :-)

Gourd

The canadian Ross rifle in .303 caliber had a funny feature: the bolt could be disassembled for routine cleaning and inadvertently reassembled in a manner that would fail to lock but still allow a round to be fired. Well, a friend of mine can swear this is true. He fired the Ross rifle after reassembly, in my presence, and this is what is left of the cartridge. It was a spanish ball load (19 PSVII 50 303) and both the primer and stakes came out flattened; the rest of the case burst into splints and went to the face of the shooter, who fortunately was wearing prescription glasses. The bolt of the rifle was damaged beyond repair, but remained into the action.

Here are my 7mm SAUM/WSM OSI’s.

Falcon and schneider-I was trying to find an article in a magazine I have. No joy but basiclly it was the after-math of a .308 being fired in a .25-06 or a .270 (It had been re-barreled from a .308 so maybe that contributed to the act). It was very nasty and they guy was very lucky to live. I’m sorting out my room so I’ll keep my eyes open for it. One detail that sticks in my mind was the scope. Imagine taking the roll from paper towels or tinfoil and twisted it until it begins to unravel. That’s what it looked like.

Speaking of twisted, this was the result of using wrong data, but it just as well have resulted from a ammo mistake (as is being discussed on this thread)

[quote=“RayMeketa”]
Schneider - the “problem” has to do with headspace and the bullet diameter. But you probably already know that and your question was tongue-in-cheek. Right?
Ray[/quote]

Well, that’s what the owner of the rifle asked me when I told him that he was doing very wrong. But I was just a boy, and he was a lieutenant colonel in the army… (not in infantry, but signal corps).