Doremus-Bud Patent

I need help. I seem to remember an article in the journal about different patent cartridges. I would like to know about the Doremus -Bud Patent. Thanks for any help
Gerry

I’M NOT SURE OF WHAT YOU WANT TO KNOW BUT I’LL GO AHEAD AND MAKE AN ATTEMPT - ROBERT OGDEN DOREMUS AND BERN L. BUDD WERE ISSUED 3 PATENTS FOR CARTRIDGE IMPROVEMENTS. U.S. PATENT Nos. 34,724 AND 34,725 WERE GRANTED ON 18 MARCH 1862. THESE PATENTS COVERED THE FABRICATION OF COMPRESSED POWDER CARTRIDGES. U.S. PATENT No. 34,744 GRANTED ON 25 MARCH 1862 COVERED THE PROCESS TO WATERPROOF THE COMPRESSED POWDER CARTRIDGE. THE ACTUAL MANUFACTURE OF THE CARTRIDGES WAS ACCOMPLISHED BY THE HAZARD POWDER CO. IN HAZARDVILLE, CONNECTICUT FROM CIRCA 1862 - 1864. SPECIMENS EXIST IN .31, 36, AND 44 CALIBER FOR PERCUSSION REVOLVERS. SEVERAL LARGER CALIBRES, .52, .56, .58, AND .69 WERE ALSO MADE FOR USE IN RIFLES AND MUSKETS. BY FAR THE MOST COMMONLY ENCOUNTERED SPECIMENS ARE THE .44 FOR PERCUSION REVOLVER. THE SPECIMEN YOU HAVE BID ON IN AN AUCTION IS NOT IN THE BEST OF CONDITION, A SIZEABLE AMOUNT OF THE WATERPROOF COATING IS MISSING, AND THE COMPRESSED POWDER CHARGE HAS SEPARATED FROM THE BULLET AND BEEN GLUED BACK IN PLACE. FINDING A PERFECT OR NEAR PERFECT SPECIMEN IS NOT AN EASY TASK - NEARLY ALL HAVE DAMAGE TO THE WATERPROOF COATING AND HAD THE BULLET AND POWDER REJOINED TOGETHER. IT WAS NOT THE INTENT OF EITHER THE PATENT HOLDERS OR THEIR MANUFACTURER THAT THESE CARTRIDGES SHOULD LAST OVER 150 YEARS.

BOTH DOREMUS AND BUDD WERE PHYSICIANS - DOREMUS WAS ALSO A CHEMIST AND ESTABLISHED A TOXICOLOGICAL LABORTORY TO ASSIST THE NEW YORK POLICE DEPARTMENT IN EVALUATING EVIDENCE IN CASES OF CRIMINAL POISONING AND HOMICIDE.

HOPE I HAVE HELPED, FOR DETAILS ON THE CARTRIDGES YOU SHOULD CONSULT COPIES OF THE PATENTS.

Thank you GWB. The information was just what I needed.
Gerry