Driving band

Hello,
I have unusual question. Recently found some pieces of driving band (propably) from Tsar 7,62cm shrapnel projectile. But they dont look like normal copper band - they are plated. Of course I am not talking about green part - Its patina. And here is my question, why and for what are they plated? maybe someone knows. I am really curious… Photo to comparision : )

Could you pleas etake photos out in daylight or witha lightning of 5000 to 6000 Kelvin?
Color appearance here is all we have to go by and unsuitable lightning simply makes any comment impossible.

Sure, here we go again :)

Thanks, I understand the front of the band got polished or ground off?
The material appears very light in color. Could it be a different alloy, maybe one with more zinc as they tried to save copper?

As for the impressions of the lands it seems these were fired from two different guns. Are you sure it was all Czarist Russian?

Yes, also see a slight different but I found it with many Tsar time-percusion fuzes annd A-H bands looks way different. If you zoom in, you can see a color of corroded copper in corroded spots on light metal, even on rifling. For me it’s look like nickel plated copper band (which wiped off on the rifling during the shot)., but why?

Is that maybe remnants of solder?

As long as I know that bands werent soldered. I see this for first time and start to think that some of them could be nickel plated to better protection of corrosion in hard conditions? Like mosin bullets. But that’s are just my loose insights.

Actually I once read about bands which were additionally soldered.
But here it is now hard to tell as we first would need to know exactly from which projectile these bands are and who made them and when.
Too many unknowns. But maybe you will find a projectile with the bands still on and then we may get further with an ID.

I agree with EOD, the driving band in question is probably a brass alloy which has developed a definite verdigris after being exposed to the environment for many years. Possibly an ersatz (defined as: a product made or used as a substitute, typically an inferior one, for something else) driving band.

The copper driving band for Russian shrapnel shells produced on contract in the United States during WW1 is noted in the following diagram:

Source

As an aside and something to consider as a possible non-Russian source for the driving band, during WW1 Germany produced ammunition for captured Russian 76.2mm field guns.

An example of a German made Russian 76.2mm cartridge case is discussed here:
http://www.wk2ammo.com/showthread.php?1509-WW1-shell-case-77-x-385R-info-wanted
Photos of a German made Russian 76.2 cartridge case from the above listed discussion-
German 76,2mm, a

German 76,2mm, b

Brian

I agree with You EOD too many unknows, but I know the place and will try to find another one : ) Thanks bdgreen for drawings!

I wiped the ring gently with a file. For sure It is copper!