Dummy .50 BMG

I have a dummy .50 BMG round Aluminium case with Primer pocket but no flash hole. The H/S says F A at the top and 4 at the bottom. Can anyone tell me what the 4 stands for?

If the 4 is offset to one side then it represents 1944. As a wartime economy measure the 3 was ground off the 43 so that the previous years bunters could continue in use.

This feature is seen on other calibres too.

gravelbelly

Vince
are you 100% sure the round is aluminum-cased and not tinned brass as would be normal / common for this era?

For a 1944 dummy steel might be a better possibility than brass. Jack

Its not Brass but steel, now you mention it, is a better bet. Is it in any way collectable? I was going to give it to Falcon next time I see him. He likes the military stuff.

It is a common enough dummy, they were being sold in the original cartons of ten in England some years ago. I bought some just to join links together in my “feed device” collection.

gravelbelly

[quote=“gravelbelly”]It is a common enough dummy, they were being sold in the original cartons of ten in England some years ago. I bought some just to join links together in my “feed device” collection.

gravelbelly[/quote]
Yes I think I bought mine off a stall at the Biggin Hill Airshow about twenty years ago.

I have seen these dummies around in the UK where the case has been chrome plated over the original tinned finish. I believe this was done to sell them as souvenirs as the original finish can often be quite rusted.

Falcon, I will drop this round off to you next time I am round your way and you can do with it what you will. As you know I don’t keep anything these days. I travel light.

Really interesting information about the “War Time” bunter use.

Jason

Not only during war times. The “4” was ground off the '54 bunter leaving a “5” for some of the '55 production.

Some of the single digit date headstamps were produced by bunters made that way from the outset. My Frankford Arsenal-produced M9 .45 blank is headstamped FA over 4, and the 4 is a touch to the right of the 6 o’clock position, so it is not a doctored “43” date. Jack

I suppose for war time production thats all they needed. The date on military ammo, while of great interest to us, was only for stock rotation.