Dummy rounds

I have found that I possess a dummy round. It is for the 7 x 57mm mauser.

The headstamp reads DM 18 96 K. With the primer being between the 18 and the 96, DM is at the top and the K. at the bottom.

It appears to be nickel plated with a nickel/silver colored bullet.

What is/was the purpose of a dummy round?

[quote=“zmaxhunter”]I have found that I possess a dummy round. It is for the 7 x 57mm mauser.

The headstamp reads DM 18 96 K. With the primer being between the 18 and the 96, DM is at the top and the K. at the bottom.

It appears to be nickel plated with a nickel/silver colored bullet.

What is/was the purpose of a dummy round?[/quote]

They are used for theaching the troops to load and unload the guns, magazines, etc, without the hazard implied in using live ammunition.

But one thing I don’t know is if there’s a difference between a dummy and a drill round, or the names are interchangeble…

Thank you, guess i should have just googled my question. which i have.

schneider–Dummy and Drill are pretty much interchangeable for small arms ammunition. However in larger stuff (20mm and up) they are two different rounds and have different functions.

A Dummy round for large bore things is an Inert round with no powder charge for general training purposes. These are normally lighter weight than a live round.

A Drill round is an Inert round having the same weight and balance of a live round. They are used for loading practice, gun and loading equipment testing or anyplace where the weight is important.
They simulate a complete live round in every way except they are inert.

Two nations separated by a common language…

In British parlance it is exactly the opposite. A drill round is often light and used for general training, whilst a dummy replicates the live round and is used by armourers and inspectors.

Regards
TonyE

As far as SAA goes (including 20mm and 30mm), and unless I am mistaken (I am, often) I don’t think there is such a thing in the US parlance as a “Drill” cartridge. They are all Dummy Cartridges.

Conversely, the large caliber artillery types are called Drill Cartridges but I’m not sure there is such a thing as a Dummy Cartridge except that there are Dummy projectiles and cases.

Does that make sense? I can be convinced otherwise, very easily. ;)

Ray

Ray–I have what I would call Dummy 3 inch Navy. I have an empty case with a black projectile with a VERY heavy neck crimp and the same thing in Hardwood with a steel base. Neither of these are the weight of a loaded round. In 90mm I have both Dummy and Drill. The drill round has solid Brass case walls 3/8 inch thick to give it the weight of a loaded round while the Dummy is the standard case with an inert projectile.

Ron

“However in larger stuff (20mm and up) they are two different rounds and have different functions.”

What I said was that there is no SAA (including 20mm and 30mm)cartridge presently designated as a Drill Cartridge. (In the US)

Now, someone may call a Dummy Cartridge a Drill Cartridge, or vise-versa, but that doesn’t make it one. No more so than calling a Grenade Cartridge a Blank, or a 45 Colt a 45 Long Colt. ;)

In my day at least, the wood 3"/50 cartridges were called Drill Cartridges. Many of the 3"/50 Drill Cartridges were made from fired or reject cases and projectiles similar to the 90mm that you mentioned. With a brass case, the inert projectile was heavily crimped, while in a steel case it was spot welded.

I know that the Army thick walled cartridges are called Drill Cartridges. What are the official designations of the two 90mm Cartridges that you mentioned??

As I said, I’m certainly open to changing anything I may say.

Ray