Dunn .22 Boxes Remake

Roger Huegel and myself are attempting to update Tony Dunn’s .22 box catalog with color images and additions which have come to light since Tony originally published his work in the 1990’s. Below is an example of what we are doing. Items listed in Red (S-6 & S-7) are new items not in the original Dunn. Images shown on the slant are from the Ward’s Collectibles Auction site (Used with permission). Full face color images are scans from Roger’s and my collection. B&W images are from Dunn’s original catalog. We are currently working on the Remington and Peters sections.

[color=#FF0000]NOW FOR THE REASON FOR THIS POST.[/color] We need help. If you collect Remington or Peters .22 boxes and are willing to do 200dpi color scans (scans work better than camera images) of boxes we are missing, [color=#0000FF]PLEASE[/color] send me an email for more details of what boxes we need.

Somehow I thought The .22 Box had the rights to Tony’s books?

Pete–If so, it is news to me. I will email Rich Rains and ask.

I want to make it clear that the Dunn Remington and Peters updates are not for publication or sale. They are for our personal use only. The project came about out of boredom and an avid collecting interest in these two company’s .22 rim fire production boxes. The original typewritten pages with xeroxed box tops are very dark and some are totally useless for identification purposes. There are numerous common boxes that were totality skipped, I imagine because they were not available at the time. It is very common to see the NID (not in Dunn) in box descriptions. Ron and I collect Remington and Peters catalogs and it is apparent that there were many boxes not included and there were a lot of very uncommon, one-of-a-kind boxes included that a normal collector would never see let alone own. Unfortunately uncommon boxes are very collectable so they were at hand to the collectors who put together the Dunn catalog. Sometimes a simple box like a Long was not included or maybe the hollow point version of a series was not available, etc. Eventually our documents will include all that were commercially produced according to the catalogs. There will be a lot of “Not Available” placeholders until we locate examples to include. I’ve started with the Dunn version because it is the acceptable identification system right now. This may change in the future but for right now our aim is to come up with a “complete” catalog of Remington and Peters boxes per the catalogs. We are missing several catalogs, especially the 1920-1950 years. We do have some of them but we continue to search for as many as we can get. Ron has asked several times for additional catalogs but mostly his requests have gone unanswered. We sure could use some help with the missing boxes and catalogs so if you are a Remington or Peters .22 box collector will need your help.

To repeat, this is not a money-making venture. It is simply an effort to put together documents to help identify these company’s .22 rim fire boxes (and possibly all their rim fire boxes in the future). It’s an attempt to preserve information for future generations of Remington, UMC, and Peters collectors. There is NO intentions to do the complete Dunn catalog.

You might want to get a copy of the excellent, Mancini & Rains Kleanbore dogbone box booklet as a lot (if not all?) of that eras Remington production is covered.

Think Rich might have copies of those available. If your not already a member of the .22 box collectors, you need to be. Lots of interesting stuff being published, updates & new items found.

Sorry if I misunderstood but Ron’s initial comments certainly sounded as if you both wanted to do the whole book over & were just starting with Rem.

Pete
I do have a copy of Rich’s Dogbone brochure.

Most of what’s missing from our research is the early Remington and Peters boxes, or rather, photos of those boxes. In the early years of rimfires there was an explosion of different (and now obsolete) calibers and variations of the rimfires. Now there only a few variations left. Primarily, the .17 calibers and the .22 shorts and Long Rifles in standard and high velocity and hollow-point. The newer variations now include the subsonics and supersonics. 50 years from now rimfire ammo collectors will probably be dispiritedly seeking these:).