Dutch 6.5x53.5Rmm "16 X" in a Carcano box

These were stuffed into a Carcano box (about which I already had a question Italian 1942 Carcano box from Milan). Here my question is “what was 16 X”? I have “1898 M93 K.& C.” for comparison only.

According to other posts about Dutch ammo, all the cartridges were made by AI.
12 o’clock: case or full cartridge year of manufacture?
3 o’clock: Year of propellant manufacture?
6 o’clock: Code letter for metal supplier.
9 o’clock: Lot number.

It would make sense if it was criss-crossed like with French headstamps:
12 o’clock / 6 o’clock = case information
9 o’clock / 3 o’clock = either propellant and/or cartridge information

AI = Artillerie Inrichtingen; Zaandam-Hembrug, Netherlands.
D = Nederlandsche Patronen-, Slaghoedjes-en Metaalwarenfabriek, Dordrecht, Netherlands.
X = Gorham manufacturing company; New York City, New York. USA. They are best known for silverplated items, silverware, and bronze sculptures. Silverware sets designed and made by them have been used at the White House. They have also designed trophies for major sporting events, like the Borg-Warner trophy for the Indianapolis 500.

The simplified war-production 12 o’clock / 6 o’clock headstamp probably means that 16 was the year of cartridge production and X was the contractor. They might have filled the cartridge later.

1 Like

Translated from a Dutch publication:

6.5 x 53R

Randy

2 Likes

The correct translation of “Nummer van de partij buskrut” is “Lot number of the propellant”.
De Vries/Martens in their book say the same. They also say that the letter at 6 o’clock identifies the brass maker (not the brass lot as the Dutch text above implies). The letter may have an added number to identify the brass lot (partij = lot).

1 Like

Randy,good info,only a little remark,scherpe is ball ammo.-

Cheers