Dutch 9mm P 24rd & 48rd Tins

The Parabellum pistol was used by the KNIL as the M11. With grip safety, no stock lug.
The Dutch navy used the P08 style, with stock lug and without grip safety. This was the Nr. 1.

So 2 variations of the Parabellum pistol were officially adopted by 2 different Dutch military organizations. Each had their own supply chain.

GYROJET, many thanks for your great contribution. It was interesting to see the contents of the 48 round square tin from 1932. I had noted my “RWS 1932” headstamped round as a Dutch Navy contract and now have it linked to this box which is significant. The rounds in this box have a black pa and plain copper primer. The same headstamp shows up on RWS rounds with the ringed Sintox primer and no pa color which were apparently made for another customer. This is significant since RWS also produced a round identical to the Dutch Navy contract round, but headstamped “R.W.S. 1933” raising the distinct possibility that there was also a 1933 production lot for the Dutch Navy.

Since, as far as I can tell, there are only two known boxes, yours which is also pictured in “The Borchardt & Luger Auromatic Pistols” and the one in considerably worse condition pictured in “The Dutch Luger”. As rare as this box is, it wouldn’t surprise me if it also exists in a 1933 date.

Has anyone seen a box for the “R.W.S. 1933” headstamped cartridge???

Again, thanks!

Lew

The material above filled in a number of dates for the Dutch Navy tins, and the information is greatly appreciated. There seem to be a relatively small number of dates(8), with multiple examples of most, implying that there were a relatively small number of orders placed with RWS for this ammunition. it unlikely that there are more than 15 or so production dates.

The ammunition for the East Indies Army is more of a mystery. Based on the and cartridges available it appears that they procured no 9mm Para ammunition from 1924-1939. That is a surprisingly long gap of 16 years. Does anyone have ideas why they would have gone this long with no procurement. Was there a similar gap in their procurement of rifle ammunition?

Many thanks to all the contributors.

Cheers,
Lew

J. Peelen - the confusion is over a round tin with a labelmarked for 49 rounds, followed by an uncaptioned picture of an opened 9 m/m tin with 48 rounds. At first thought, they would seem to go together because of the lack of a caption on the 2nd tin.

Now, therein is the confusion, but the truth is, the open box shown cannot be related to the picture above it of the 49-round box, even though their is no caption to say whether it is or isn’t, because the 49-round label, now that I am reminded of the numbering system for the various pistols, must be on a can of 7.65 mm Browning ammunition, since the tin is labeled for the 7.65 mm Sauer & Sohn "Pistool M29 No. 3.

My confusion was caused by not recalling which Pistol was the number 3, along with an un-captioned picture that appeared to belong with the picture above it. It shows that a picture is not ALWAYS “worth a thousand words.” Of course the 28 round (4 x 7) and the 49 round (7 x 7) tins make perfect sense for the Sauer & Sohn 7-shot pistol.

Sorry for the confusion, but I will plead partially innocent on this one. :-)

John