Dutch Beaumont-Vitali M. 71/88 Charger

Dutch Beaumont-Vitali M. 71/88 Charger (1889):

Fede & Gyrojet,

Great diagram and pictures.

So the rectangular sheet metal ‘magazine’ or ‘cartridge box (waist belt) liner’ held 3 chargers?

Brian

Gyrojet, Those chargers that you show are not the same as the Beaumont-Vitali, they are Italian made for the Vetterli Vitali (note the lack of a “hump” on the wooden bridge piece). The Netherlands also made the Vetterli Vitali chargers but with a red spot instead of the arrow to show which way the enemy should be when you put it into the rifle.

gravelbelly

Try as I might, the Dutch version of this charger has eluded me totally. Here’s my Italian one;

But being a collector means living in hope

I also thought that mine was different then the Dutch one on the drawing .
mine was tagged as a Dutch one but it is a Italy one , thanks…
gravelbelly do you have a pict off the Dutch one?

Here’s something on the Dutch version with a few details of the rifle too.

I wasn’t aware of the existence of differences between the Dutch and Italian chargers. Below is a picture of a Dutch charger and box and it looks exactly the same as the Italian one. Could someone explain how these differ? Dimensions?

The only differences are the paint finish on the top of the wooden bit and the Dutch version has a flat side on the left of the wooden bit and a raised section on the top, where the string goes … whilst the Italian type has a flat top.

Does anyone have both types so we can see them side by side ?

Peter

Peter, thanks for the information, it seems that several specimens identified as Dutch are actually Italian. A contemporary description of both chargers also indicates that the Italian weights 15 g, while the Dutch is heavier and weights 20 g. I wonder if this is correct.

Below you can see a detailed illustration of the Italian Vetterli-Vitali charger published in 1890.

Regards,

Fede

I believe that both the Dutch and the Italian Vetterli-Vitali rifles are the same calibre and the ammunition and chargers are interchangeable between them. However, the Beaumont-Vitali rifle uses a different cartridge (longer?) hence the different charger. If I am wrong please correct me.

gravelbelly

The Dutch did not use the Vetterli rifle. The Dutch Beaumont ctg is larger in all dimensions than the Italian ctg.

The Dutch Beaumont and the Vitali charger

The Differences between the Beaumont-Vitali and Vetterli-Vitali clips are as follows:

B-V Clip Bulkier over-all (11mm B-V Cartridge–bigger cartridge);
Back steel channel wider, longer; than V-V
Front steel channel wider, Longer; than V-V
Wooden top piece Longer, and has a side “lump” which the V-V does not have (V-V Wood is symmetrical in Plan, B-V is Assymetrical.)

Different wood type.

The V-V charger was earlier than the B-V charger ( 1877 vs 1888)

Doc AV

Project to replicate Both types in 2016 is going ahead…as I get definitive me3asurements of the steel and wood Parts.

Harry, great picture! Thank you very much.

Evidently, the original drawing is very precise.

Regards,

Fede

Here is another drawing from 1890 showing the differences:

Beaumont-Vitali

Vetterli-Vitali

Muchas Gracias, FEDE, and Very many thanks to all the others who contributed pix and info to this Thread.

Also, the defining Photo of the Tinplate box (NO lids) and tape.

Now, I have an Italian Box with 6(six) empty clips, and the Nederlanse Geweer de Beaumont M1871-88.

(I also have several Vetterli-Vitali rifles and TS and Carbines as well). and the CAD designs for the Vetterli Vitali clip.

From the above designs and photos, I can “re-engineer” the Dutch clip, and start Production of Both.

Whilst the Box is Tinplate, the clip metal is Blued steel ( have sources for Both here in Australia.)
For Wood I will be using German/Baltic Deal…very straight and compact Grain ( Packing Case Timber from Germany)

Escutcheon Pins will come from Carbatec, a Local supplier of quality Woodworking tools with Tungsten Carbide Cutting edges, who also supply a large range of Woodworking (Hobby and Professional) Accessories and consumables.

One thing I have noticed, is that whilst the metal parts are all in Metric dimensions, the wood seems to be based on Inch
Dimensions ( even though I measured in metric.).
The Wood especially, is made from 1" Rough Cut Wood Square, then Planed down to about 5/8", then profiled (Italian ).

The Dutch wood, of course is similar, but different Profile.

It seems that whilst Metrication in Metal had already appeared in both Italy and Netherlands ( Napoleonic Influence from early 1800s), Woodworking still remained in feet and inches ( according to local standards…there were something like 24 different “Feet” in Europe during the 1850s…at least all of them had “12 Inches”.

Very Interesting Thread.

Doc AV
AV Ballistics Technical Services
av_ballistics@hotmail.com

Mr Gyrojet. You have some books i need to buy. Pls contact me to george_kokos@yahoo.gr Thank you in advance

I send you a email