Dutch Headstamp Question

Below is a 6.5 Dutch headstamp I have a question about.

As far as I understand it, the case was made by FN in 1922. Can anyone explain the other markings which appear to have been added later? Was this round reloaded, or stored in 1938?

There are always a variety of markings on Dutch ammo other than the year and maker, or brass lot. Some additional examples would be appreciated. I just put this one out as it may help explain some of the others I have seen as well.

Thanks,
Dave

5A = brass lot & 38 = powder lot ???

Brian

If that were the case, you would think that the headstamp items would all be done at the same time, in the same way, which is not the case here. I have always been under the impression that the second stamping, not the FN, was to signify reloader/reloading info.

Maybe this earlier Forum discussion will help: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9810

Brian

There are two different headstamp styles we are now discussing. My thoughts were directed at the pic posted by Herr Kuchta.

From the last entry in the thread viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9810 ; quoting Jack:

Post Re: 6,5x54R Dutch Mannlicher with hs A55

"After my post yesterday I went through my notes and came up with these examples of Royal Netherlands Indies Army (KNIL) headstamps for the 6.5 m/m cartridge. I put them in chronological order. For each two-element stamp the order is 12 and 6 o’clock; for the four-element stamps 12, 3, 6, and 9. In all examples the marks at 12 and 6 are original to the cartridge case. For those having 3 and 9 o’clock entries the markings are post-manufacture and probably hand-work. The 12 and 6 marks are oriented vertically; those at 3 and 9 are to be read horizontally. Listing is chronological by original manufacture date:

22----1A----FN----38
22----2-----FN----38
22----3-----FN----38

23E------AI

28D [also:E,F,G,H,I]----2B [also:3,4B,5,5A,5D]----AI----39

29------B
29------D
29------D60

39A-----AI
39C-----AI
39D-----AI

None fit the pattern established for the Netherlands army in this period, and those for 1923, 1928, and 1939 have letters combined with the abbreviated date. Those shown for 1929 seem to follow the Netherlands home pattern but lack entries at 3 and 9 and are unlike the other examples in lacking any identifiable original maker’s initials. The cartridges with the FN mark were loaded with bullets basemarked “22 FN”; the bullets in the 23E cartridges had an “A” on the base. Jack"

A Lot of “FN 22” Cases came from Indonesia (ex KNIL ammo) and it is possible they were Loaded or Reloaded. at Bandoeng or Soerabaya in Java, in 1938 ( common practice for KNIL use.).

The FN 1922 contract delivery of cases may have been both Loaded ammo and Empty Cases, to be loaded when necessary (common Netherlands Practice.)

Most of my Indo KNIL ammo came as 500 round Biscuit tins with Dutch markings on one side, and Japanese markings on the other. Ammunition in each Packet was normally one headstamp, but several headstamps as shown above were present in the 500 rounds in the tin. (FN, AI etc.). A lot of the cases looked like “Loaded” in Java, whilst some were obviously “Factory Loaded” in the Netherlands. Some were “reloads” from the Nature of the double headstamp.

Doc AV
(Down Under)

Doc

Most of my Indo KNIL ammo came as 500 round Biscuit tins with Dutch markings on one side, and Japanese markings on the other

Doc do you have a pict of these tins?

regards
Gyrojet